Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Experiences with ACDF

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Virginia.

My cervical herniated disc occurred in June '08 while moving a patient. I am scheduled to have a ACDF of C6-C7 in one month. Have tried more conservative measures such as PT and 2 epidural injections with minimal results. The right arm pain isn't an issue any longer, but I'm still having weakness in that arm because of nerve impengement that affects the tricep muscle. I also occasionally still have numbness/tingling sensations in fingers. Sometimes, i get such severe migraines that last for days and result in a visit to the ER for pain relief. I am still having to take oxycodone and a muscle relaxer almost daily for relief and use a heated neck pillow. Also, having side effects from medication. But, without them I hurt. My life has been completely turned upside down by this injury. Now, I'm getting anxious about the surgery and was wondering if anyone has had a similiar experience or can offer some good advice.

Thanx,
    D.

Default Re: Advice/Similiar Experience with ACDF ?

Quote Quoting DK70 View Post
    My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Virginia.

My cervical herniated disc occurred in June '08 while moving a patient. I am scheduled to have a ACDF of C6-C7 in one month. Have tried more conservative measures such as PT and 2 epidural injections with minimal results. The right arm pain isn't an issue any longer, but I'm still having weakness in that arm because of nerve impengement that affects the tricep muscle. I also occasionally still have numbness/tingling sensations in fingers. Sometimes, i get such severe migraines that last for days and result in a visit to the ER for pain relief. I am still having to take oxycodone and a muscle relaxer almost daily for relief and use a heated neck pillow. Also, having side effects from medication. But, without them I hurt. My life has been completely turned upside down by this injury. Now, I'm getting anxious about the surgery and was wondering if anyone has had a similiar experience or can offer some good advice.

Thanx,
    D.
    hope it goes well for you. i have the same sympoms as you and still waiting for something to be done. gl and keep us posted on how your situation.

Thanx for your response. Sometimes, it's just comforting to hear that you're not alone and someone else understands or can sympathize with your situation. Good luck to you 2.

D.

I had c4-c7 done in late 2007 after being injured in 1-05. I sympathise with you and the pain it caused myself the entire time. I am going back next week for another ACDF but this time am hoping it will be the last. Not sure yet how much has to be done.. surgeon will determine the extent while there....Possibly C2-c4 and remove old hardware then redo C5-T2.... Basically I may be fused from C2-T2 which does scare the hello out of me but I am confident with my surgeon... I will have little to no ROM... You on the other hand being it is only one may be able to recoup well....and get most of your strength back. I dont know if you will be able to return to your type of employment... Sorry But with this type of surgery and injury there is going to be some restrictions.

I hope everything turns out well for you and let us know how u r doing
    Last edited by bubbanut8; 02-11-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: spell

To DK70,

I just had ACDF C4/5,C5/6. I had pain in both arms and also am being treated for migraines. I resisited surgery for over a year, until I had no other recourse. I had surgery on 01/14/09, so it has been very recent. Was not as bad as i thought. Came home from hospital the next day. not going to lie, first week was very tough, unable to swallow, hence couldn't eat solid food.
    Started feeling better the second week as far as my throat soreness. Arm pain is still their, but I was told it tkes nerves a long time to heal. Arm pain is getting better, but still have some tough days. Most important issue, is that any further nerve is stopped, and was also told pre-surgery that any kind of car accident or serious fall could result in permanent paralysis. Good Luck with your decision. By the way, I tried PT, Nerve blocks and Epidurals, and Facet Shots/Abalation and nothing worked.

Bubbanut8,

Wow ! Sounds like an intense surgery and a lot of healing time for you. Best of luck. My surgeon says I shouldn't have any restrictions following the procedure. We shall see. I've heard very good things about him though and feel confident in his care. But, it's always scary when you are faced with any kind of surgery ! However, I find it especially a scary situation when you know someone is messing around your spinal cord/ neck area. But, my surgeon says he's done many of these procedures with very good results for his cervical patients.

Take care and best wishes,
    D.
    Last edited by DK70; 02-11-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Response to bubbanut8

To RGN020157,

Thanx for sharing your experience. Seems my symptoms may not be as severe as yours or bubbanut8. But, nonetheless, it's time for something different, as I cannot picture living this way the rest of my life. I'm only 38 ! I am afraid if I don't take action now and have the surgery the nerve damage/impengement may be permanent, affecting the strength in my tricep muscle...and I'm right-handed. Even now, I sometimes have difficulty when taking a jacket off over my head. I've had to adjust to many changes in my life. But, the most heartbreaking of all is not being able to do the fun stuff with my 9 year old daughter that we once did. I'm determined that this summer will be better than last ! Hope you continue to heal without complications.

Take care,
    D.

DK,

It doesnt matter if its one or five you are still hurt and in need of surgical intervention.... It is a very scarry thing... I know when I had my first I actually cried non stop for days before. I went as far as calling priests and talking to them about being baptized!! I remember the hardest part for me was writing a last will and testament, and making me think about it was unbearable.... This time I am not as scared but I am getting anoited before and believe whatever is suppose to happen will, and there is nothing I can do or say that will change it.

I have the best surgeon but there is only so much that can be done after my type of accident. I was only 39 when my accident happened and have 2 kids. I know what you mean about playing with them. My hope also is that this is the year I may be able to do some of the things I did prior. I was right-handed and now can only use my left. Damm then I hear left handers live shorter lives...LOL Much of the damage is permanent and I accept that but I know things are going to get better!

Quote Quoting bubbanut8 View Post
    DK,

It doesnt matter if its one or five you are still hurt and in need of surgical intervention.... It is a very scarry thing... I know when I had my first I actually cried non stop for days before. I went as far as calling priests and talking to them about being baptized!! I remember the hardest part for me was writing a last will and testament, and making me think about it was unbearable.... This time I am not as scared but I am getting anoited before and believe whatever is suppose to happen will, and there is nothing I can do or say that will change it.

I have the best surgeon but there is only so much that can be done after my type of accident. I was only 39 when my accident happened and have 2 kids. I know what you mean about playing with them. My hope also is that this is the year I may be able to do some of the things I did prior. I was right-handed and now can only use my left. Damm then I hear left handers live shorter lives...LOL Much of the damage is permanent and I accept that but I know things are going to get better!
    Bubbanut8,

Thanx for your reply. Know what you mean when you talk about being so anxious prior to your surgery. I've started to evaluate my life insurance policy and am in the process of making some changes such as coverage amount and beneficiary. I even started filling out a online questionnaire for a will, which I don't have yet. Yeah, I know with a 9 yr old, I should have done it long ago. You know what they say, life is what happens while you're busy making plans. Time just has a way of getting away from you. I try to keep positive about this whole experience though, because if I dwelled on it too long, I would be a very unhappy person. Have a good day. The weather is beautiful here in VA.

D.

Default Re: Experiences with ACDF

DK,

Think positive, no one was more hesitant than me, as some of the people of this board can attest to. I just turned 53, I did just fine. Hopefully, this will be a long term solution for us all. Good Luck.