Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Pennsylvania Workers

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Partial Finger Loss

My husband lost part of his left index finger at work yesterday. It is gone from the top joint up, so about 3/4 of an inch. A friend of a friend told him that workers comp will give him $30K without him doing anything. How true is this? Who should we contact to find out the details?

Right now the person in his office who handles this is out all week. I will get the information about workers comp from her, but I'm sure she doesn't know all the details about how something like this should work.

Should we consult with a lawyer? Do we sue for loss of use (he was a mechanic/electrican/plant manager) Just wait and see what happens? I hate just wait and see. I want to know what the policy is now!

Any one have any clue?

Default Re: Partial Finger Loss

first thing first he needs to report the injury and then go see a doctor, if they have a panel posted he has to use one of them for the first 90 days. If the company gets fishy or you think something is going wrong that is when you get a lawyer. PS you have 120 or 180 days to report the injury and still be covered. So make sure your husband is ok first.

Quote Quoting DbsJrPA View Post
    first thing first he needs to report the injury and then go see a doctor, if they have a panel posted he has to use one of them for the first 90 days. If the company gets fishy or you think something is going wrong that is when you get a lawyer. PS you have 120 or 180 days to report the injury and still be covered. So make sure your husband is ok first.
    Of course we went to the doctor - He cut part of his finger off

The company knows about the injury. However the person who handles this stuff is off all week so the full report will be made next week. They took him to the ER. He will go to an orthepedic surgeon on monday.

I read the workers compensation information online, and this is what I now find. If the finger loss is below the first joint either when the injury occured or if the knuckle was removed by a doctor, he will recieve 66.6% of 25 weeks of his pay.

His injury was right at or above his upper knuckle, but we think the doctor ground it down in an attempt to reseal the wound.

whoa whoa whoa .... you took me wrong i meant you need to find out if you have to go to their panel doctor or you can go to your own from now on for physical therapy and treatment. ..and don't forget you can get a second opinion if you have to go to a panel doctor for the first 90 days just being cautious is all remember it is their doctor not yours most of the time they are the one's paying is all.. it seems like you are on the right track and you got your stuff together..... file the paperwork next week and see what happens......

If your case is like most W/C cases the honey moon want last long.

Study like crazy till the person who handles the W/C comes back to work.

You have a window of opportunity that most don't get. When they start the dirty trick phase you will be one step ahead of them.

I wish all involved were as honest as posible, but money has a way of causeing a person to destroy your finaces to save the commpany a few dollars.

You don't have to stupe to thier level. Be honest, but be educated.

The person who handed W/C were I worked was a very dear friend. That person started off smiling wishing me the best, till they found out Doctor's don't come cheap.
    Then the dirty tricks started.............

RDS

Quote Quoting RDS View Post
    If your case is like most W/C cases the honey moon want last long.

Study like crazy till the person who handles the W/C comes back to work.

You have a window of opportunity that most don't get. When they start the dirty trick phase you will be one step ahead of them.

I wish all involved were as honest as posible, but money has a way of causeing a person to destroy your finaces to save the commpany a few dollars.

You don't have to stupe to thier level. Be honest, but be educated.

The person who handed W/C were I worked was a very dear friend. That person started off smiling wishing me the best, till they found out Doctor's don't come cheap.
    Then the dirty tricks started.............

RDS

What should we watch out for? The case only consists of a visit to the ER, some meds, and a follow up visit by an orthepedic surgeon who decided that no further treatment was neccessary. And a week out of work.

Does anyone know what percentage of his pay he will get while he is out of work for a week?

Also, we do personally know a lawyer that works for his workers comp company, so hopefully we will have a heads up. We should really call her and ask a few questions I guess. I don't even know what to ask her (except about the pay)

Great idea to see you lawyer friend. Tell the lawyer to guide you through the maze. W/C is a legal system all by its self.

Tell her you need nothing more than justice, but nothing less than justice.

She will know how the system works.

In the mean time this site is filled a treasure of personal experances that will help you come up with a good list of questions.

You will be best served studing your states postings first.
    The laws vary some what state to state.

Also search this site for postings about finger injurys.

A lawyer will pay for thier self in the end.

I hope this all made sence. ( I'm on pain Meds)

Quote Quoting Candi1024 View Post
    What should we watch out for? The case only consists of a visit to the ER, some meds, and a follow up visit by an orthepedic surgeon who decided that no further treatment was neccessary. And a week out of work.

Does anyone know what percentage of his pay he will get while he is out of work for a week?

Also, we do personally know a lawyer that works for his workers comp company, so hopefully we will have a heads up. We should really call her and ask a few questions I guess. I don't even know what to ask her (except about the pay)
    Hello Candi,

Look up www.dli.state.pa.us then in the keyword on the left use workers comp. and it will bring you to a bee hive of info. To answer your question about how much you will get I haven't been able to find that yet, but your husbands co. obviously put in a report to the ins. co. and on the link I gave you they have forms you can fill out regarding his lose of limb. As far as pay, you have to be off of work for over 7 days then they have 21 days to get a check to you for his time off and that will only be 2/3 of his average pay for the past year. If your husbands er has been upfront about everything you might not need a lawyer, but if you take my advise I would retain one, there is no charge and if he/she doesn't have to go to court then you do not pay a dime, if you do go to court his fee is deducted from the settlement which by pa law is 20%.

I hope this answered some of your questions, and if you have more specific questions Timothy Belt in on this forum and you can PM him and I am sure he will help if he can, maybe suggest a lawyer for you if you are in his area. He's the best, honest!!

Hope your husband is doing well,
    Nipper
    Last edited by nipper123; 02-18-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: wrong letter in link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RDS you are giving BOGUS info out, you need to really learn the system b4 you give advice , ya i guess you are on pain meds maybe to MUCH !

Candi,
    I would like to apologize if I gave you bad information.

I will study more to give better information in the future.

The information I leave or posts I respond to are to the best of my knowledge true!

I always hope that a more knowledgeable person will come a long and give better information.

Please note the PM I sent you last night about Timothy Belt the “man of wisdom”

RDS

Thanks for the responses. I will let you know how it turns out.