Illinois Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Illinois Workers

• Illinois Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Illinois Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Steroid Shots and Stomach Problems

Here is the situation. Six foramen epidural steroid injections in a six week stint. Patient went from 130 lbs to 105 lbs during this period and now has major gastrointestinal issues. Anything she eats now causes a great deal of pain (other than crackers) and the doctors cant figure out what is causing the problems (other than possibly the steroid injections). Any link between the steroid shots and stomach issues? Also, is six foramen epidural shots in six weeks too much? Thanks.

Default Re: Please

the doctors cant figure out what is causing the problems (other than possibly the steroid injections). Any link between the steroid shots and stomach issues? Also, is six foramen epidural shots in six weeks too much? Thanks.
    Those are actually medical determinations... something you can't get on a message board. All IW/patients, and treatment plans differing so much a compairson would not do much good, probalby cause more ''wonderment'...

IF the doctors can tie the condition to the orginial injury/or treatment, this should be a compensable consequence to the claim/injury.

The doctor will have to provide reasonable connection by EBM/Evidence Based Medicine, and provide a report to the CA/IC.

Default Re: Please

If you knew what was in the injections you could research the recognized side effects of that medication.

Default Re: Steroid Shots and Stomach Problems

Excessive use of steroids, I believe, can cause avascular necrosis. Consult your physician.

Having said that, as someone who has had epidural steroid injections for both the cervical and lumbar spine, and having dealt with countless number of cases involving steroid injections, I am alarmed by your treatment timeline.

Hockeylaw@aol.com

Default Re: Steroid Shots and Stomach Problems

I have permanent nerve damage caused by the drug Depo-Medrol which was the medicine used in my spinal epidurals. I had 8 epidurals in total. 2 of the epidurals that doctor used Depo-Medrol which is toxic if used near neural tissue. Also my first surgeon poured Depo Medrol into my spinal cavity before he closed my back up during my first back surgery. I had extreme burning back pain that after several months traveled throughout my body. I now have the burning pain in my back, buttocks, legs and feet. I did an internet search for burning back pain after a spinal epidural and Depo Medrol came up. After looking through my medical records I found that this drug was used in my body. I contacted the drug company Pfizer and filed an incident report also with the FDA. I was told by Pfizer that there is an Adverse Event Warning with the drug that it is not to be used near neural tissue. The doctors are using this drug off label use. It is not approved by the FDA to be used in a spinal epidural yet most doctors use it because of the money payback to them. Now I have to suffer the rest of my life with this burning pain from the nerve damage.