California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using Medicinal Marijuana While on Workers' Comp

Does anyone know or ever heard of this being ok'd by WC in California?

Default Re: CA Medicinal Marijuana on WC?

It's not a matter of being authorized by WC.

IF the treatment is requested by your PTP, and EBM/Evidence Based Medicine is provided to back up the medical necessity of the treatment... it would go to UR for a determination to 'reasonablness' and necessity on an industrial basis.

There could be several reasons for medicinal marijuana use/Rx.

Though selling the pods to supplement your TTD is not one of them...

It'll never happen, forget about it.

Big Dog: that statement is not necessarily true.........there is currently a bill in the assembly AB390 which address's this very topic....and should this pass medicinal cannabis would be legal at least in California.....

for those that are interested here is the link on AB 390

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_0351-0400/ab_390_bill_20090223_introduced.html

and for those who want more info on studies etc currently done, or underway on the effects of medicinal cannabis try this link;

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5508167056653299671&q=source%3A0083887448016622010 50&hl=en

of interest UC Berkely was involved in such a study, Canada has even sent copies of their studies to the DHHS/DEA......

there will always be pros and cons to this very sensitive subject.....

RW....

The drug is still illegal on the Federal Level, and no WC insurer will authorize it. I don't think there is any compelling reason for Marijuana to be prescribed in a WC case. In cancer cases, I understand the use and the benefit, but your average orthopedic injury, it would be doubtful a doctor could make a compelling enough case using medical research guidelines to get it past UR/MTUS.

Especially since most people don't need to gain weight when there are already sitting at home injured. Good plan, let's give them pot so they can get the munchies and gain weight.

Talking Re: CA Medicinal Marijuana on WC?

That is true and kind of funny.

Quote Quoting BvIA View Post
    It's not a matter of being authorized by WC.

IF the treatment is requested by your PTP, and EBM/Evidence Based Medicine is provided to back up the medical necessity of the treatment... it would go to UR for a determination to 'reasonablness' and necessity on an industrial basis.

There could be several reasons for medicinal marijuana use/Rx.

Though selling the pods to supplement your TTD is not one of them...
    what's a pod?

When you get this by RX at a pharmacy, it doesn't come in a bag and chopped up like tobacco....it comes in little 'pods', like clumps that you can break apart. Medicinal marijuana is much different that what you might get on the street.

A CA is not the person to determine medical necessity, or whether the drug is used on an industrial basis. Nor is a non medical reviewer in the position to determine the use. Only a doctor can make a valid request, and only a doctor can modify, delay or deny a request for medical treatment.

Eric Holder the new Attorney General in the Obama Administration has directed the law enforcement agencies in Calif, as well as all other states NOT to pursue any action on doctors, providers, or users of medicinal marijuana...it isn't cost productive, nor in the best interests of patients in need of the 'drug'.

Let me once and for ALL explain to you guys who think medical marijuana patiants sit around getting high and MUNCHIN all day, THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!!

I have been using med marij. for 4 years, i have my recomendation from my DR. and without it, I could not get through the 5 day a week cheerleadfing practices, that my daughters go to, and all the meets they have every weekend out of town.

OH, its O.K with society to accept and consume alcohol, get druck, go out in the parking lot and beat the shit bout of each other, or better yet, lets get behind the wheel of a car, and kill someone, and since thats so much fun, lets do it again next weekend.

When is the last time anyone seen or heard of a med marij user go outside and beat the shit out of each other, or, kill someone with thier car? How about NEVER!!!!

I would love to see them approve this for us, but, CA already has, so just grow your own, and you wont have to buy it.

I also provide med marij to some people in town, and one is a lawyer, one a doctor, and another is a local; bussiness owner, and I can promise you thiese people are not setting around stoned all day eating everything in sight.

I'm taking oxycotton, now which one do you think is more dangerous to my body? I believe that is herion.

Not to mention that the oxy cost $1875 for a month supply, and med marij is $400 a month.

WE are NOT people who sit around stoned,doing nothing but eating all day, and watching tv, if you still think that way, you are living in the stone ages.

Most of the medi marij is motivational medicine, and not the burn out weed from the 70s.

Oh, and did I mention, they just opened 3 new med marij stores here last week, and O bama said last week that feds will no longer be allowed to trump state law so its just a matter of time before it is completly legal.

Bigdog, you should be more informed when you comment on med marij patiants, a lot of good people have found long and hard to help seriuosly injured people like myself, and we don't like to be painted with the brush from the 70s, time has changed, medicine has changed, and it is time you people accepted us as part of functioning society, and not a bunch of pot heads.

Bigdog: you are correct in that currently the FDA has approved only 2 forms of cannabis, which by the way is not the actual true native plant but rather a derivative, synthetic form of the THC within the plant.

These 2 FDA approved synthetics are Marinol/Nabilone; use for cancer patients and AIDS......further research is currently underway to scientifically document the benefit of THC from the cannabis plant for patients who suffer from severe fibromyalgia and neuropathic pain.

there are numerous studies from all over the world that scientifically document the benefit of cannabis.....and it is used medicinally in many countries.......

Were you aware that cannabis was not a schedule 1 drug until sometime in the 1940's when Dupont wanted to introduce a synthetic material to the textile industries, cannabis [hemp] was proven to be far more superior to the integrity of the textile than the synthetic Dupont fiber.....in order for Dupont to move forward and claim their fiber as superior a campaign was lauched to have cannabis and its byproducts reclassified.....

sound familiar lobbyists and money were the controlling factor....just like the insurance industires and the realm of WC......

it is not as far fetched as you think, as technology advances so does the science of medicine......

RW...