Default Weird Feeling Down Arms and Hand Goes Numb

When I first injured my lower back, my hands would go numb, esp my left one, and 2 of my fingers turned white and numb periodically.

On and off it has bothered me thru this ordeal, but due to the severity of my back injury, I rarely complained about it, dr appointment was always quick and covered my severe back injury.

Yesterday and today my arms and my left hand are really bothering me again, what could this be?

I have been mainly bedridden since injury 9 months+ ago, and on occassion haveto put my hand behind my back to ease the pain and it helps position my spine better for the are that hurts above where my surgeries were.

I have complained of higher back pain, but even in my MRI nothing is notably shown as a problem for my higher lumbar/no added bulges or hernations,I dont know about my lower throacic or my neck. I can't even let someone touch near my shoulder blades as the muscles are killing me just to be slightly pressed on.

What do you think this is? Anyone have similar type sensations? Even when I use my laptop my hand starts to hurt and go numb sometimes. My lower back outweighs all of this of course, but when I am at rest and the nerve pain subsides some from my legs, it catches my attention that this is going on still.

Default Re: Weird Feeling Down Arms and Hand Goes Numb

Sounds like your neck might injuried. Pain near your shoulders could be C6-7.

Thanks for writing back, UGK I hope not I already had 2 surgeries on my lower back and am post op from a fusion now as it is.

It really bothered me yesterday, and alittle today, the thing is once my lower back and nerves stir up, I am so dealing with that severe pain, that it just disapates the arms and my hand.

I go again to the dr in like a week and a half, I'll haveto see what he says, last time they said it was just muscular at the very beginning when my finger tips would turn white and numb and I told them about my hand numb too as my mid back hurt alot and nothing more came of it.

I thought it was mid back, not by my neck. I'll haveto see if the dr will check anything MORE on me. I drop alot of things too all the time it drives me nuts.

c4-5 is your shoulder c5-6 is your arm and c6-7 is your hand believe me i know because i am fused from c2-t1

GBGB

I have the same symptoms as yours- Both of my arms get numb and it feel cold when its numb. My MRI I have reverse cervical lordosis and some mild degeneration. I also had EMG last March 30/09 and per my neurologist I have some muscle spasm on my neck that causes my pain - tell your doctor about your symptoms he will know.

I told my dr about pain in my upper back a few months ago, its between my shoulderblades sortof, where my bra strap lands, and he told me it was muscular. I then told my case nurse about it and she said she'd haveto look in the notes to see if its in there over this time of me being hurt, as I had asked to get a mri of that area when I was getting the lumbar area done and they never did the upper area. I told her in the past and the dr about my hand going numb, but it was never addressed.

I goto the dr this week, I'll see again what he says but they don't seem to care about even more pains, the nerve pains in my legs have subsided some, and now that it's raining today everything if flaring off, my arm, hand, upper back, lower back, legs, you name it, I'm dyin today with pains.

I also get a really sore nerve like pain down the inside of my forearm on my dominant hand too. Ugk. My neck has hurt, BUT I have been 90% completely on my back for 9 months, literally, so I have constantly used my neck overboard this entire time, as I was stuck on my back, alot of times it's hurt, but, for how much I'm using it I would of expected that. I'm now laying on my cell phone in my mid back between my shoulderblads to put pressure there as it's so sore, feels good like that thou actually.

Guess I'll see what the dr says yet again.
    Thanks again.

Quote Quoting GBGB View Post
    I told my dr about pain in my upper back a few months ago, its between my shoulderblades sortof, where my bra strap lands, and he told me it was muscular. I then told my case nurse about it and she said she'd haveto look in the notes to see if its in there over this time of me being hurt, as I had asked to get a mri of that area when I was getting the lumbar area done and they never did the upper area. I told her in the past and the dr about my hand going numb, but it was never addressed.

I goto the dr this week, I'll see again what he says but they don't seem to care about even more pains, the nerve pains in my legs have subsided some, and now that it's raining today everything if flaring off, my arm, hand, upper back, lower back, legs, you name it, I'm dyin today with pains.

I also get a really sore nerve like pain down the inside of my forearm on my dominant hand too. Ugk. My neck has hurt, BUT I have been 90% completely on my back for 9 months, literally, so I have constantly used my neck overboard this entire time, as I was stuck on my back, alot of times it's hurt, but, for how much I'm using it I would of expected that. I'm now laying on my cell phone in my mid back between my shoulderblads to put pressure there as it's so sore, feels good like that thou actually.

Guess I'll see what the dr says yet again.
    Thanks again.
    \

I totally understand the under your shoulder blades. I also have that. The PT said yes it's under shoulder blade a group of musuls and they are all connted to the musals

Quote Quoting bubbanut8 View Post
    c4-5 is your shoulder c5-6 is your arm and c6-7 is your hand believe me i know because i am fused from c2-t1
    WOW that's alot of fusion