Montana Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Montana Workers

• Montana Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Montana Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Smile How Long Until Funds Comes After Settlement

I was able to settle with workman's compensation for a reasonable amount. The settlement is pending MMI on my shoulder, which the doctor has already said would be 5% (on the phone), and workman's compensation agrees with this, but I have one last appointment where he will give me my final evaluation and formally give me my MMI to make it all legal and wrap things up.
    My question is...once he faxes that to workman's compensation...and workman's compensation sends me the paperwork to sign and I send it back...how long does it normally take the judge to approve it?
    Also, when I was initially injured workman's compensation was putting my check directly deposited into my account...so can they put the settlement in by direct deposit as well...or does it have to be a check they send in the mail?
    Thanks!

Default Re: How Long Until Funds Comes After Settlement

Judges review and approval depends on the back log at the court... generally though within 30 days.

There could also be statutory time frame for either side to appeal the agreement. (Yes...even though both have already agreed)

Once the documents are received back from the court/judge the IC usually has 30 days to issue payment. If it goes beyond that time, there could be penalties/interest due. Though you'd probably have to go back to court to get those ordered payable.
    so can they put the settlement in by direct deposit as well
    Probably... but call the CA and verify how you will receive payment.

From today... IF everything was in order/approved...you're likely looking at 60 days or so.

Lightbulb Re: How Long Until Funds Comes After Settlement

well im going through the same thing i guess. i settled my case with the i/c on may 18th 09 i waiting on word from my lawyer on how long would it take for the judge to approve the settlement. he has no words for me im stuck &: confused.....

i settled my case with the i/c on may 18th 09 i waiting on word from my lawyer on how long would it take for the judge to approve the settlement
    There may be a provision for either side to appeal a settlement, or make changes if the parties have 'agreed' on the terms... sometimes that can be 30 days before a judge will review for adequacy....then the IC has another 30 days to provide payment.

Sometimes that information is provided... others not, sometimes just not heard, other times forgot...

Quote Quoting mrqt View Post
    well im going through the same thing i guess. i settled my case with the i/c on may 18th 09 i waiting on word from my lawyer on how long would it take for the judge to approve the settlement. he has no words for me im stuck &: confused.....
    Sorry to hear it is taking so long. I emailed the WC court in Montana to ask them for a timeline, the clerk said the judge usually only takes 1-2 days to determine approval or not. However, my settlement is going through the Department of Labor for approval...odd huh? They said they have 14 days to approve it or deny it, but it usually doesn't take nearly that long.

I would press your lawyer for more answers, it should not be taking that long unless it is the insurance company holding it up by not filing the papers or some other random thing.

Wink Re: How Long Until Funds Comes After Settlement

well im in miami, and i don't know how many times ive called my lawyer and he's never in the office but when i do get the check i have some words for him....i feel like he don't deserve anything but $99.95.........and thats real.... good luck though it's nothing 2 do but wait...

Quote Quoting mrqt View Post
    well im in miami, and i don't know how many times ive called my lawyer and he's never in the office but when i do get the check i have some words for him....i feel like he don't deserve anything but $99.95.........and thats real.... good luck though it's nothing 2 do but wait...
    I would be proactive and contact your adjuster yourself. This is why I didn't hire a lawyer and did all the research myself. Yes, it's been a huge headache, but I've learned a lot. This discussion boards help immensly. I wanted to know how, when, why, where, who, etc on my own terms...not sitting and waiting for a lawyer to let me know when he got around to it. I don't like depending on other people to get the job done. And don't let your adjuster brush you off either.