Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Worker's Compensation Timeline

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: IL
    Hello, I am currently awaiting worker's comp benefits in the State of Illinois. I injured my lower back in August of 2008. I was put on light duty until January, 2009, when my doctor took me off work for increased pain I was feeling. I thought that compensation benefits would begin shortly thereafter. However I was way wrong. Since then, my company notified my of them laying me off. I had an arbitration hearing back in late April and am awaiting a decision to whether they will award me weekly benefits. I have had no income at all since January. I have never heard of disputing weekly benefits like this. Maybe it's me, but this seems like I'm going to be stuck in limbo for a very long time. Does anyone know a rough timeline as to when I could recieve a check? From the arbitration hearing until now, has been roughly 40 days. Thank you.
    Last edited by retrorob; 06-03-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Default Re: Worker's Compensation Timeline

retrorob : I also had a back injury in IL. It took them a good 3 months to send me TTD checks. Is your employer denying your injury?
    Are you doing this on your own or do you have an attorney?
    I'm not for sure but I believe they have 90 days after hearing to show just cause why they are not paying you...
    Last edited by SHOVELHEAD; 06-03-2009 at 07:56 PM.

please get an attorney....asap. It's impossible to heal and maintain your bills,when no income is comming in.
    It's been a year for myself and workers compensation feels to pay you when they feel.
    Example: I was normally getting a check every week.
    Then of course the week i made an obligation to pay verizon, i didnt get a check, and my phone was diconnected, until the check came in. I called wc to be advised that they changed my schedule payments from weekly to monthly. Thats wh ni said i've got to get a lawyer.
    all and all it takes about a month to recieve any payments.

no worries about the attorney. I have a very good one from southwestern illinois. My employer is trying to give the pre-existing crap to the arbitrator. The bad thing is, I can't draw unemployment, and I'm THIS close to going for Social security. If I'm denied and I have to appeal, I guess I will apply.

Don't forget to find out about other forms of public assistance. There is welfare, food stamps and other programs that you might want to find out about sooner rather then later.

Also you might want to try to contact your mortgage, electric, phone, water and other creditors and see about getting a payment arrangement before things get out of hand. Most of the time they will work with you. Don't wait until you are getting shut off notices to do something if you are not getting paid.
    When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.
    Thomas Jefferson

He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    Thomas Jefferson

Red face Re: Worker's Compensation Timeline

Well, SOME good news. I still haven't been awarded weekly comp yet, but my doctor has shown anger and a bit of frustration towards my employer for delaying; specifically the Independent Medical Examiner. My lawyer has also hinted at the notion to file suit against the IME for neglection and false diagnosis. If my doctor agrees with me that surgery could have been avoided(I'm scheduled for it this year), the suit will be filed to the additional fight for workers compensation.

NOTE TO ANYONE PREPARING FOR AN INDEPENDENT MEDICAL EXAM: BE SHORT AND TRY NOT TO LOSE YOUR TEMPER.

Question Re: Worker's Compensation Timeline

Well, hopefully some good news today. The arbitrator ruled in my favor regarding getting work comp benefits. However, I have to wait 30 calendar days for the appeal (if the company wants to appeal). Does anyone know on average chances of an appeal? Or possibly the percentage of cases that get appealed by the employer?

Angry Re: Worker's Compensation Timeline

TOTAL DISASTER. One week prior to the 30 day deadline to appeal, my employer's attorneys DID IN FACT APPEAL. This has forced me to prepare to move out and file for social security. My attorney says that there is a slight chance they may cave in soon but it could take up to 14 months to get anywhere. I cannot believe this. And now I understand that they have hired investigators to watch me. Are you kidding??? How stupid do they think I am??? I have heard that first-time Social Security applicants usually get turned down and could take a year to receive assistance. So in short, I'm screwed for awhile. Surgery will be put on hold because if something catastrophic would happen(and I don't get comp) I would be on the hook for the bill. Not sure what to do. Just venting a bit, but I have seen better days for sure.

Smile Re: Worker's Compensation Timeline

Well, I had surgery August 14th. The procedure I had was an anterior lumbar spinal fusion of the L4-L5-S1. Morphogenic bone graft and spacers were installed in the disc area. As well as two titanium plates with 8 screws in them. I am happy to say that I was walking just hours after the surgery. I stayed one night in the hospital and am currently feeling better by the day. NO LEG PAIN. NO NUMBNESS. NO BACK PAIN. I can't begin to thank my surgeon and everyone who has supported me. I'll be thirty this year, but I think I feel more like twenty. If anyone is having surgery soon, I would be more than happy to answer any questions about it. I know my mind was full of them on the days prior. Now the legal battle shall weigh on me.

retrorob,

Good for you!!! Iam glad you have had a positive outcome from your surgery. Now just keep healing and Iam sure you will be done with this wc crap in no time.

Take care and keep us posted on your progress..
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world...indeed...its the only thing that ever has - Author Margaret Mead