California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question SCIF - State of California Insurance Fund

I would be interested to know how many injured workers (IW) are using this forum, that are covered by SCIF, State of California Insurance Fund. I am, as I was a State Hospital employee.

Default Re: Scif

state employees are covered by the state.
    technically the state of california is permissably uninsured.
    State Fund functions as a third party administrator for the various agencies.

For other posters their employer may actually have purchased an insurance policy from them and be the carrier.

there can be a difference.

since we cannot verify your intentions and don't know your interest, I'd be hesitant to reveal such information.
    Last edited by .SH; 06-29-2009 at 01:59 PM.

I thought some one would reply as SH. My intentions are not devious. I am an EE, going thru workers comp issues, that SCIF controls. I have been in the system for almost 10 years, and my case is coming to a close. I have had many problems related to SCIF, ie; decsions made, and adverse effects related to their decision's. My interest is in that area, as I see many IW's, with many nightmare situations. Just was interested in how many IW's are going thru the process, with SCIF. Maybe a united front type envolvement, is my intention.

you need to talk to tony the moderator about recruiting posters from this board for your enterprises.

Just was interested in how many IW's are going thru the process, with SCIF. Maybe a united front type envolvement, is my intention.
    United front for what ?

SCIF is a ''insurance company'' seperate from and operating with out state of Calif oversight. SCIF is subject to the SAME statutes/rules and laws as any other IC doing business in the state.

SCIF sells coverage to any ER wishing to purchase it, and is in direct competition with any other carrier. For the sake of premiums... SCIF nearly controls the market... what was to be the carrier of ''last resort'' much like assignment for auto coverage... SCIF is now the biggest carrier in CALIF.
    I have had many problems related to SCIF, ie; decsions made, and adverse effects related to their decision's.
    Just as with any IC providing WC coverage in the name of the ER...
    A 'united front' against SCIF would be the same as against any carrier.
    Your efforts should be directed toward your elected representatives and governor...THOSE are the culprits in this mess... SCIF doesn't write the laws or rules that govern the provision of any benefits.

Wow. I was just asking a question, as to how many folk were under this carrier. I meant no harm, and have no hidden agenda. I wish to close this,as I no longer wish to post here. Folks a tad to sensitive, I guess

I can see why some may not want to reveal the carrier for their claim as they wish to maintain annonymity. Revealing the carrier combined with some of their other posting information may well allow them to be identified. There are CA's who do peruse these boards on occasion.

With that said I will tell you I have had to deal with SCIF as I'm sure many others here have. I have had some bad experience but not as bad as some I have heard. Perhaps you will hear from some of them.

As BvIA pointed out they have become the largest carrier in California. They are rather unique in that they are both an insurance company and a state agency. Even though they are a state agency they operate with little or no state oversight other than those that are imposed upon any insurer.

I am not sure what kind of united front you can muster or what good it would actually do. SCIF has weathered attacks for years and will continue. Their inefficiency is well known and documented. The reality is that they exist because of necessity and regardless of how poorly they operate they will continue to do so. They actually came into existance by legislative action to provide affordable WC insurance for employers that were unable to get other coverage. Made sense that if you were going to require employers to have insurance that you also provide them the means to obtain it.

Perhaps .SH has more insight to this than I do but I don't see much difference in how they handle claims for state agencies vs. other employers. Just my own opinion based on my limited observations.

By the just so you know SCIF stands for State Compensation Insurance Fund not State of California Insurance Fund. I don't mean this to be mean I am just trying to help you get it right.

I would just like to add that scif has lost ground in % percent of california they cover last check they were down to 35 % market share, due mostly to there own negligence-- no surprise I am sure

feelin it

Quote Quoting 1bigouch View Post
    Wow. I was just asking a question, as to how many folk were under this carrier. I meant no harm, and have no hidden agenda. I wish to close this,as I no longer wish to post here. Folks a tad to sensitive, I guess
    Sensitive ...? how do you get that impression.?
    Granted you may have asked a 'simple question'... with out by the way providing any reason for or what you intend to do with the information. I haven't see any post here that is attacking you.. only reponse, basically that you have no chance in hell to a 'united front'... and still no reply on your part as to what you think you'd like to do or accomplish by such 'front'...(?)
    Wow. I was just asking a question, as to how many folk were under this carrier.
    I am being provided benefits for my industrial injury through coverage by SCIF. What should we do now...? Just asking...
    And a question for you... What difference does it make, and why do you want to know?

My interest in asking this question, was to see if any State Comp IW, had ever been offered a WCMSA. Or if it is even fesible that SCIF would do such a thing. My Attorney seem's to think that since my FMC and prescriptions are going to be so expensive, that they just might offer a MSA. He also discused the fact that given the budget crisis, its hard to even speculate. He is awaiting our first court date, to just talk with "them".

And I have learned something already from this post. be careful of what you ask for!