Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Where Can Injured Workers Get Financial Assistance

I was in an accident in october of 2008 and been on wc ever since. is there someone who can help me with some financial assistance. I'm losing everything I got, my utilities are shut off. my case should be settling soon. any information I could get will be appreciated

Default Re: Losing It All

Can you please tell me what state you are from, and I will send you some links that may help?

south carolina

contact your union; they often can supply emergency aid to members.
    contact your church and affilicated service organizations; they have contacts within your local comunnity for things like food, shelter, treatment, etc.
    contact your utility company they have programs for those on disability or interrupted work situations.
    the federal government also has programs.

http://www.lifelinesupport.org/li/lo...pport/browser/
    http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ocs/liheap/

http://www.patientadvocate.org/report.php

The link above is set to Alabama, so you just need to click that and scroll down to South Carolina. South Carolina has two pages of resouces for your state. They are in alphabetical order. Make sure to check both pages. Let me know if this list did not help. I wish you well. You are in the same situation as many.

Your post states that you were injured in late 2008. Have you received any type of payments from the insurance company? If you have not, I would consult with a work comp attorney ASAP.

Here are a few that may help

LIHEAP Assistance for South Carolina
    South Carolina Division of Economic Opportunity
    Address/State: Division of Public Health
    1205 Pendleton Street
    Columbia SC 29201 Main Phone: 1-803- 734-9861

Assists eligible low-income households in meeting the heating or cooling portion of their residential energy needs.

Community Food Bank of the Piedmont
    Address/State: 206 S. Main Street
    Mauldi SC 29662-0873 Main Phone: 1-843-747-8146

The following food bank is part of the largest domestic hunger-relief organization in the United States. America's Second Harvest's mission is to feed hungry people by soliciting and distributing food and grocery products through a nationwide network of certified affiliate food banks and to educate the public about the nature of and solutions to the problem of hunger in America.

Lowcountry Food Bank
    Address/State: 1635 Cosgrow Road
    Charleston SC 29405 Main Phone: 1-843-747-8146

The following food bank is part of the largest domestic hunger-relief organization in the United States. America's Second Harvest's mission is to feed hungry people by soliciting and distributing food and grocery products through a nationwide network of certified affiliate food banks and to educate the public about the nature of and solutions to the problem of hunger in America.

Rental/Housing Assistance Programs
    South Carolina State Office
    Address/State: Strom Thurmond Federal Building
    1835 Assembly Street
    Columbia SC 29201-2480 Main Phone: 1-803-765-5831
    Last edited by kelly38; 07-01-2009 at 03:37 PM.

That's it ladies and gents, I think we all should create our own social services helpline because we all have been through this and I am sick and tired of hearing good people having no where to turn. I would bet my back tooth that we could get it done faster more throughly and cheaper than the government.

But seriously now - one of the most important questions kelly asked is do you or do you not have your own lawyer not a case manager or a lawyer from the insurance company but one you retained by yourself to look after your interest because you should be getting w/c payments of 66% in most of the states. Please do get one asap (and I mean like yesterday!) it sound like you have been taken to the cleaner and left to dry out.

Let us know we will all try and help.

Nipper

Do you have a Regional Interfaith Association in your area? They are a great help with food, utilities and other resources. Pleas call them if you do. Also call the United Way. Your friends are standing by waiting to lend a helping hand, they are just waiting for you to say something. My daughter taught me a very valuabe lesson: Money is liquid: If you have it, give it; if you need it, take it. This was so hard for me to learn but I found that people are really wanting to help but are often afraid to upset you if they try. Let them if they offer. DON"T BE TOO PROUD!! I'm crying as I write this because I know what utter defeat is. My sister and sister in law paid my house payment this month and my other sister bought my groceries. So you see sometimes you just have to rely on the kindness of others. I pray that you have kind people in your life. Some times you think there is no end to this viscious cycle and I'm not sure there is but I will not let the bad guys ( the IC) win. They can't kill us.

Hadit,

Do you know that HUD has a program to help you with your mortage if you are afraid of loosing your home if you own it? Look into you local either interfaith Housing or the local HUD in your area.

I know it's been a long long time for you, but I am so glad that your family is rallying for you, you may not have much cash, but you have a heart of gold, and friends and family worth=priceless.

Nipper

Default Losing It All

still trying to survive. went to dr last tuesday and had a rf. cannot get assistance from no sources, no money. served eviction papers yesterday, electric turned off, little food and the only thing I can get from my atty is need to be released from doctor. someone needs to step up and help injured people in s.c. you can't work, drawing a little bit of workmans comp and everybody thinks you are not trying to help yourself. Is there someone in columbia that cares?