California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Cool Info on Psych Eval

I was advised by my attorney to undergo a Psych Eval which she informed me in my case would be very beneficial due to the severity of my injuries and so forth. I have been seeing a psychologist and psychiatrist for about 5 months now, in which my QME recommended. I have agreed to do the evaluation and I was wondering if anyone can give me any idea of what to expect? I was told it would take about 4 hours. Im just a little nervous I have no secret past or anything like that but I'm not to fond of the idea of them bringing up my past since it has nothing to do with my work related injury. What will they ask? any advice.

Default Re: Info on Psych Eval

The testing with a phych/psychologist doctor is not a bad day. Mostly filling out 'forms'... and evaluation.

The 'bad day' will be the deposition. The DA will ask you questions that could go back to your childhood. And yes... everything in your past is relative to your claim. There will be lots of questions you won't want to answer, lots that will be potentially embarrassing to you, and lots that will nearly be insulting. A psych depo is not a good day for the applicant.
    But it also depends on why there should be a evaluation. If there is a actual psych/stress injury in your claim... that is more than likely the cause for a 'bad day'...

There is all kinds of info about psych evaluations on line, here is one article http://www.healthpsych.com/articles/ccia.html

Psych evaluations are also an integral part of Chronic Pain management. Here is another article http://www.iwci.org/Clues03/Feb2003.htm. Not all psych evaluations are detrimental. It just depends on why one may be necessary.

The best advise is to be cooperative, and truthful.

The length of the testing will depend on how you tolerate sitting for a period of time. There are 3 tests that normally are administered. The one test is several 100 of questions in one book. You will read the question and then with a pencil mark your answer on a separate sheet. The other two tests are short, one deals with pain and the other is for something else.......

some are able to complete all testing at the first appointment. Psychiatrists understand that some may not complete the testing in one sitting and will usually accomodate the party to come back. Once the testing is done. You will see an associate who will ask you some additional questions, then you will meet with the psychiatrist.

Once all this is done then your test is scored and the psychiatrist will issue a lengthy report.

RW....

an evaluation by a psychiatrist can take many forms depending on the issues and the medical condition. some involve extensive testing using standardized written tests like the MMPI.
    others consist of a straight forward interview qestions as well as development of a comprehensive medical, family, personal historical record.
    there are various tests for cognitive function, understanding, emotional responses etc.
    most medical websites can list the types of tests that are available.
    which are used in your case depends on the physician.

The test you are discussing, is that the same thing as a global assessment score?

I believe mine was 50

Post Re: Info on Psych Eval

Hello

I took a neuro-psych exam that lasted an entire day except for breaks and lunch.

Also, took an exam as described by roofinfool - this several 100 question test seemed more drug related.

BvIA, I read the two links (but my ability to focus is now poor). You wrote, "And yes... everything in your past is relative to your claim. There will be lots of questions you won't want to answer, lots that will be potentially embarrassing to you, and lots that will nearly be insulting. A psych depo is not a good day for the applicant." I don't recall going through a psycho depo - is this very different from a regular deposition or is this one in the same?

Regards,

I don't recall going through a psycho depo - is this very different from a regular deposition or is this one in the same?
    A deposition is a deposition. But if your intent is to claim stress/psych as the injury, then you could expect a DA to grill you on the psych issues.

If the psych issues and evaluation are secondary to chronic pain and pain management, it would not probably such a necessity to depose to the psych issues as would be a stress claim.

Quote Quoting BvIA View Post
    A deposition is a deposition. But if your intent is to claim stress/psych as the injury, then you could expect a DA to grill you on the psych issues.

If the psych issues and evaluation are secondary to chronic pain and pain management, it would not probably such a necessity to depose to the psych issues as would be a stress claim.
    Thank you, BvIA

As my psych issue is secondary to chronic pain then it is only the all-in-one deposition! I was getting myself worked-up for nothing... but thought
    you were talking about something new. Suppose it doesn't really matter, the truth is the truth.

Kind regards,