Default Working and Drawing SSDI

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: ks
    ok here is my question. ive read that if you are applying for ssdi and are working pt(not at a job that you did before the accident) that chances are you will get denied..

i was off work for over a year drawing my ttd, then back in may(end of may) they stopped. the doctors have said yes im disabled, cant do work like i use to(because its to physical), i cant stand for more than a few hours at a time, cant lift more than like 10#'s, cant sit more than a few hours at a time,etc etc. anyway
    my lawyer said i should have filed for ssdi the min that my weekly ttd checks stopped, instead i went out and got a part time job trying to work. then about a week or 2 later applied for ssdi.

my lawyer says that i have a really good chance of getting approved, since i was really messed up from my accident.
    i cant go back to the type of job that i have done in the last 20 years, im really messed up and not just from the accident.

But i did read somewhere where it said that if you were working while trying to apply for ssdi, that you were wasting your time.

So im just wondering if anyone else out there has ran accross this or not. I mean if you think about it, guess it seems like ya if you can work any type of job that you dont need ssdi. i know that they have what they call the "ticket to work" but im wondering is this for people that have been off work, then felt like they needed to work a little after wards?????

Default Re: Working and Drawing SSDI

You could be very well qualified for SSDI benefits... but keep in mind that SSDI is very different than WC/TTD... comp benefits are not for long term disability, but for the periods of treatment and recovery. SSDI IS long term...that's why the rule is your disability last 12 months or longer, or you could die within those 12 months due to your condition.

SSDI isn't a supplement to your being unable to work full time. SSDI is paid where you are unable to peform ANY type of gainful employment.
    There is a 'ticket to work' program..info is at www.ssa.gov. Generally that would apply after you have been approved, and a period of recovery has been attempted...SSA allows to work up to a preset dollar they consider 'gainful employment' or 'substantial earnings'. Benefits can continue until you are earning those wages for a period to time... usually 6 months is considered substantial -wages. Medicare can continue for up to 39 months post RTW>

There are a lot of rules, and exceptions in SSA/SSDI. Start here for application process http://www.allsup.com/about-ssdi/ssdi-process.aspx
    and www.ssa.gov for more info.

I am also from the state of Kansas.

I used to do intake for Social Security Administration under the Zebley Decision as a volunteer mentor.

I applied for SSD in 2007 and was approved 6 weeks after applying.

I was told by SSA if you are working you do not qualify for benifits.

I have been told my injured workers that have gone thru the ticket to wotk
    program that it is a great program.

I was told by SSA if you are working you do not qualify for benifits.
    That would only make sense... you don't apply for SSDI while working with anticipation of becoming 'disabled', then stop working once approved...

I applied for SSD in 2007 and was approved 6 weeks after applying.
    YOu were very fortunate...obviously your medical information was in order, and you have/suffer a severe enough condition that qualifies you as 'disabled' under SSA rules.

well yeah guess that sounds right. im not able to work full time anyway. and wasnt planning on quiting working pt if approved for ssdi. `i know that you can earn x amount of dollars while on ssdi, but guess it would look kinda funny asking for ssdi and working pt huh.

but then again, the big question though is how do you survive while applying for ssdi, im not drawing ttd anymore and have no other income. but yeah i guess thats the rules.

thanks for the info.
    guess i would be really lucky if i got approved. my lawyers partner does nothing but ssi, ssdi etc and he says that its not a problem. that i still should be able to get approved.
    and says that if they dont approved that they would handle the appeal for me. since i was off work for over a year and applied, my lawyer seemed to think that i should qualify.
    I dont know. there are so many rules that take presidence.

and i thought i read somewhere on the webbsite that said that if you are on disability and have a family, that your kids (if under the age of 18) can also draw benifits from your account. granted i know its not the full amount but i thought i read that somewhere. or does that only apply if you die and your surviors then draw your benifits. if any of that makes any sense.

thanks for the information
    i'll keep my fingers crossed
    Last edited by candyman03011; 07-26-2009 at 11:00 AM.