New York Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured New York Workers

• New York Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• New York Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Unhappy Help with RSD & CRPS

Finally got approval for an EMG (waited since February). Had the procedure yesterday. Although the Neurologist was unable to complete all the tests because of the severe pain I was in. They appeared to be normal for the most part. A couple of them showed something, not sure what, but will find out when report come out. After a long explanation by the Neurologist, he strongly feels I may have RSD / CRPS. He told me he would put that in the report to the IC and my doctor. He also told me to discuss this with my doctor.

Could someone who is familiar with RSD / CRPS please contact me. How will all this, if I am truly diagnosed with it, work out with my WC case? What do I have to look forward to (in the near future and long-term). I am a nervous wreck over all this. My case has been ongoing for 2+ years and my IC, of course, is trying to stop my benefits completely. Even though their doctor and mine have me at 100% TTD.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have done some research on RSD / CRPS and is does not look pretty, so to speak.

Also, my doctor has been requesting approval for several tests since February, and only recently got the approval for the EMG. I did get a letter from the comp board approving an MRI, but my doctor says they need the approval from the IC.

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: - Rsd / Crps

Unfortunately RSD/CRPS isn't ''pretty''... there is no cure, and the treatment is long term, as costly. The IC will fight you on this diagnosis for those reasons. Information on this condition is available at www.rsds.org

If you haven't already, you should consider application for SSDI benefits...
    Eligibility for Social Security disability benefits based on Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy http://www.examiner.com/x-13746-Tamp...etic-Dystrophy

Also, if you don't have an attorney handling your claim...it would be a good idea to consult with a few. There is no cost, any fee would be deducted from your award when the claim resolves.

Good luck to you... there are many IW's posting here that suffer from RSD/CRPS.

BvIA,

Thank you so much for your help. I am already looking at the links you provided.

IC has given me problems since my injury. They practically deny everything. My 1st attorney did nothing accept tell me to just sit back. I do have a new attorney and he seems to be more helpful. My IC was trying to get me to take a lump sum settlement. My atty suggested I wait because I am obviously in pain and that I should not settle yet. Now IC tried saying that if I am worried about medical, they would leave that open. He also said we could "do a structured settlement or lifetime structured settlement thing" if I was interested. He said he'd send me & atty info on that, then 2 days later I get a notice he sent to board that he is requesting my bene's be stopped because I am "not disabled and not looking for employment w/in my restrictions". What the hell is that? I have no restrictions because my doctor AND THEIRS have me at 100% disabled.

Also, my doc has been waiting approval for MRI and a couple of other tests. Since Feb. Nothing from IC - no approval, no denial. THEIR doc advised I have an MRI back in March. After I recd their req to stop benefits, I recd a letter from the WCB approving my MRI. But, my dr says that they still have to have IC approval before doing it because IC will not pay for it.

It is the "time of year" they send their old faithful PI around. He scared my 85 yr old neighbor to death sitting across from her house one day. She called the police and was told it was OK because they new he was there. She, being feisy as she is, told them that it was NOT ok. She didn't want weirdo's around here. LOL. He ended up following my 21 yr old daughter to/from work; watching her with binoculars. Scaring the life out of her. Course, they denied it, but I know better. It's the 2nd time they have followed her around.

Sorry bout the ramblings. I, just like most people on here, are frustrated.

As far as SSDI, I filed back in October, but was turned down by 1st wk in January. Do I need a formal diagnosis from my Ortho doctor? Or do I need to see my Primary (family) doctor to get the official diagnosis?

Again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Quoting Meg1638 View Post
    As far as SSDI, I filed back in October, but was turned down by 1st wk in January. Do I need a formal diagnosis from my Ortho doctor? Or do I need to see my Primary (family) doctor to get the official diagnosis?
    Have any medical records, document or reports from any and all doctors that are related to your injury available. Provide as much info as you can to the SSA.

hurt@work,

Thank you as well for your reply. I am in the process of getting all my medical records from all my doctors. That is a chore in itself, but well worth the aggravation.

Any other info/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If you did not file the appeal timely on the first denial... you're going to have to re file on the SSDI benefits... it is VERY important to watch the appeal time rights... 60 days is usually the limit on appeals.

You need ALL medical records... from the last 20 years if necessary to support your claim. SSDI is not based solely on your work injury.

RSDS/CPRS is now accepted by SSA as a legitimate cause of ''disability'' under SSA rules.

Default Re: Help with RSD & CRPS

Meg,

Obtain an experienced SSDI attorney. There is no up front out of pocket expenses and they will do the paperwork leg work to obtain the necessary reports from your doctors

I also sent you a PM
    Q

Hi

I cant give you any advice on the legal side of CRPS/RSD since I am in a legal battle myself. And trust me .. they will fight you all the way.

I have CPRS/RSD in both of my legs. Its a horrible horrible monster that has taken over pretty much my life. So ... no ... its not pretty at all. I take many meds and have a spinal cord implant JUST to be able to TRY to live with the pain.

I am sorry if I am painting a grim picture but today just happens to be one of those days when it seems you see the world pass by you. And you wonder what it is that you must have done to have deserved this. And you think back and wonder why didnt you call in sick that day ... why didnt I?????

I am so sorry that you have this ... I truely am

Bosco

Hey Meg,got your message yesterday. I also have RSD, along with another tear in my cuff. Bi'cep is healing decent. I just got SSDI approval,it took 3yrs 3 months. Just keep at it and keep filing,It'll happen! I am awaiting 4th surgery, and the insurance co's (ace casualty) IME says I'll need complete replacement when I retire. Clean Harbors is still shirking their responsibility. I hope the laws are a little more pro-injured worker in NY than here in Ma. I also filed for medical from the state ,and got notified that it would be a $ 19,770.00 deductible for 6 months of health insurance. The state also told me to get rid of all my assets, including my dog! Can you believe that crap? What a nightmare. Good luck