Alabama Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Alabama Workers

• Alabama Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Alabama Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cervical Fusion

Default Cervical Fusion

I have recently been told that i have two herniated discs, (between c-5 and c-6, and between c-6 and c-7). I was then referred to the surgeon where he said surgery would be neccesary as i have already had the pt traction and epidurals. Does anybody have any experience with cervical fusion, as in what to expect, side effects, recovery time, etc..?
    also does anybody know anything about spondylosis or radiculopathy?
    Last edited by beasley000; 09-24-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Default Re: Cervical Fusion

I had cervical fusion back in January, two level c4/5,c5/6 and had radiculopathy pain. Had surgery and wne thome the next day. Pretty sore for a few weeks and some difficulty swallowing for the first week. Surgery was somewhat successful in that it helped with my neck pain and arm pain, but not all of it. The main reason I agreed to surgery was that my spine was in such a state that any fall or accident had the potential to cause paralysis. I tried physical therapy, facet shots, rhitzonomy and nerve blcks and nothing helped. When all else fails and surgery is the only option, then and only then should you agree to surgery. It is a hit and mss proposition, it probably helped me some, but not as much as I had hoped, but as I stated, I tried everything else, I felt I had nothing to lose. Hope this helps.

I had a cervical fusion done also.c3/4 and4/5. The procedure did help with the neck pain and numbness in my arms. I am still having some problems but over all I am better. Swallowing and sleeping was my biggest problems but I am glad I had it done. Because the least little hit or bump the doc said I too could've been paralysed .

i appreciate your responses. i've never had anything like this done. as i've never had any problems with my neck before this accident. now i've been through hell for the last year and a half. i'm now waiting on a second mri to affirm the fact that the second disc also needs to be replaced, bc the first mri i had was done with low resolution(according to the surgeon), which is good for nothing. though i have never had any problems with my neck at all (ever) for some reason the surgeon is saying that i have spondylosis, which is a degenerative disc disease, to me it seems that the surgeon is only saying that in order to play up to the benefit of the i/c. not really sure what to do about this, as it will surely be brought up by the i/c to try to shirk their responsibility to take care of the problem.

...the surgeon is saying that i have spondylosis, which is a degenerative disc disease, to me it seems that the surgeon is only saying that in order to play up to the benefit of the i/c.
    Because you did not exhibit symptoms for DDD in the past, does not mean it wasn't there. At what point in time should DDD manifest ? Your industrial injury is not likely the cause of DDD, but definately a reason the condition has been diagnosed. Probably 80% of the U.S population suffers some type of spine injury during their working life... whether its a soft tissue strain, bulging disk, herniation, or rupture to one or more vertebra... these happen, are painful, and many resolve on their own over time. Not all injuries, regardless of the pain are in fact surgical.

It does not matter the DDD was there prior to your injury, the ER/IC is liable for treatment to your injury. While the DDD/pre-exsisting condition can be subject to apportionment to cause of any PD/impairment, medical treatment is not. You can't apportion or spread the liability for medical treatment around to various parties. (but for cases where more than one carrier are involved)

Here is a great site that will help you understand the various spine levels, and treatment options...http://understandingspinesurgery.com...ns.asp?d=bray&
    also does anybody know anything about spondylosis or radiculopathy?
    I've found this site to be helpful...http://lmgtfy.com/

i'm not even thirty years old i should just accept that i've got ddd? it was more than just not being diagnosed, i've never had a single problem with my neck before this accident. no pain, no stiffness, nothing. so for me to now just accept that something was wrong before this event is a stretch to say the least.

there are many disease processes that don't produce obvious symptoms for years:
    syphilis, lyme disease, hepatitis, etc.
    for workers compensation purposes an aggravation at work of an underlying disease is considered new injury and is compensible.
    what can be an issue in workers comp is whether treatment and disability is for the aggravation rather then the underlying condition.
    The distinction is often used as an "issue" that fosters litigation and delay but rarely removes a carrier or employer from laibility for immediate benefits to return the worker to pre-injury condition.

well today they finally approved the second mri so that the surgeon can see if the second disc needs to be replaced as well. another problem i've been having since this all started is the fact that the i/c never wants to fill any of my rx's, and delays on every order that the dr's give. to the point that dr.s have removed themselves from my care bc the i/c wouldn't approve anything that they wanted to do. so my question is this: is there any retribution to be had in court due to the fact that they have not lived up to their obligation of medical treatment to be had in a timely manner, or the extra suffering due to the fact that it takes so long to get medicine approved. or the fact that when you take medicine that you aren't suppose to just stop due to the withdrawl symptoms you get. and when a dr. gives you a prescription with 5 refills, but the i/c only approves for 1, so you have to go through the authorization process everytime. the only reason anything has finally been done is because my atty has continually had to threaten to file motions with the court. anybody have any knowledge about this aspect? sorry so long.

Delays and denials are part of the process.

WC is not health insurance for the IW. The ER is the insured party, and while you are supposed to be provided treatment in a 'timely manne', the ER/IC is entitled to demand prior authorization for every treatment your Dr requests.

Your doctor is the one party most important to your injury/claim. That is the one person who has the ability to interact with the CA to get the treatment/meds approved. Atty can't do it. You can't do it. Pharmacy can't do it. Treatment and medications are medical determinations... as a rule, CA's are not permitted to make ''medical decisions'', nearly all carriers have UR/Utilization Review process in place, even your personal health IC and Medicare have UR. There must be a 'medical necessity' shown, by your Dr, to everything requested.

If you were using your GHP/group health plan, or personal ins.... you could have pretty much anything (covered) you'd like... but then, you would be the one paying the bills.

The simple answer to your question.. is there any retribution to be had in court due to the fact that they have not lived up to their obligation ..., No, not for the reasons you are offering here.
    They are providing benefits in a timely manner, to your employER. The ER is the insured party, you are just the receipient of the benefits due under the terms of the policy, and the statutes/laws.
    If you were the insured party, you would probably have a bad faith action.

Cool Re: Cervical Fusion

I just read your response to beasleyooo about cervical fusion post tome 9:24
    Although, your response to the post is completely correct in a technical nature. I have to say - as a worker injured on the job 4 months ago all I wanted or expected is medical care in a timely manner. As a worker I was expected to show up on time and do a good job. Since when is it morally okay to make one sit, wait, suffer, and content with the possibility of life long medical isssues while an office worker somewhere decides my fate?
    I myself am enduring the very same. Have waited 4 months for a smiple xray after 50lb boxes fell on me.