North Carolina Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured North Carolina Workers

• North Carolina Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• North Carolina Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Thread: PPD Ratings

Default PPD Ratings

I had arthroscopic surgery on a torn meniscus and was given a 10% PPD rating. Since that time I have had three surgeries, one for a partial knee replacement (which did not work), one for exploratory to see why it did not work and a total knee replacement. I was doing well, post surgery after 5 months my doctor gave me a 10% PPD rating which is the same before I went through 3 surgeries. I have been taken off my celebrex and now my knee swells, I have trouble walking stairs and getting up from a sitting position. I have a return visit to my doc -- how are ratings determined. Are there guidelines?

Default Re: PPD Ratings

Default Re: PPD Ratings

That last rating of 10% following knee replacement is totally bogus. It may even be an honest mistake by the doc, who may have meant, "40%".

The rating guideline states the minimum rating to be considered for a knee replacement with an optimum result, which you do not seem to have. A good second opinion doc selected by you and your lawyer will give you an appropriate rating. Probably the knee replacement minimum plus 5 or 10 more points.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law