Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Pennsylvania Workers

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Attorney Success Rate

If I ask an attorney what his success rate is with cases that go to the Judge are, what would be an acceptable percentage?

Default Re: Attorney Success Rate

I'm sorry but the question is bogus. If an attorney appears primarily before the same judge and has a good relationship with that judge he may have a high success rate and no real skill. If an attorney has the unfortunate luck of regularly having his petitions assigned to a defense friendly judge, he may present an excellent case and rarely win.

There is also the question of what success means. Would obtaining a low settlement in a case with bad facts be a success, or would you actually have to obtain a favorable decision? What if you were facing a petition to terminate/suspend and the attorney defeated the termination but not the suspension? He would have been partially successful, but your wage loss benefits will still stop.

If you want to know how good an attorney is, talk to his clients or if you know a lawyer that handles defense cases, ask them who they fear. That is the real measure of whether or not a lawyer is successful.
    Timothy D. Belt, Esquire
    Helping injured workers in Northeast Pennsylvania.
    belt-law@belt-law.com
    www.belt-law.com

DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality.

Thanks Mr. Belt, I didn't mean to submit a bogus question. I'm finding that anything that has to do with the legal system is never black or white, only varying shades of gray.

I'm sorry if I came across harsh, but before I read your post, I just finished reading a decision from a very employer friendly judge that I keep ending up in front of, and it was just bad timing for me.

Anyhow, here is a true story that might make for a good example of why I have a problem with this question. When I first started practicing WC I was working for a lawyer with several associates. He would sign up the files, but would only personally handle cases assigned to a singular judge in our area that was notoriously willing to accommodate any injured worker regardless of the facts. As a result, he almost always won, but it really didn't mean anything. I am not saying he did bad work, I am just saying that his success rate didn't prove anything.
    Timothy D. Belt, Esquire
    Helping injured workers in Northeast Pennsylvania.
    belt-law@belt-law.com
    www.belt-law.com

DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality.