Wisconsin Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Wisconsin Workers

• Wisconsin Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Wisconsin Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Can I Get a Second Opinion

I'm a C.N.A in a nursing home and I injured my knee at work almost 2 months ago cleaning the tub room after a residents bath. I slipped in water on floor and twisted to stop myself from falling. It was a friday and I went to the only doctor open on a Saturday morning and she referred me to an Occupational Health Doctor. I saw him and he ordered x-rays and an M.R.I...the x-rays didn't show anything at all and he said the M.R.I just showed some inflamation and some fluid in my knee. He then referred me to P.T.

After about 3 weeks in P.T. and no improvements he said that the M.R.I did show a small maniscus tear (unsure why he didn't mention that to me in the first place) and sent me to see an Orthopedics doctor to have them stick a scope in it and see what was going on in there. When I saw that doctor all he really said was he didn't see anything on the M.R.I and his "gut instinct" is the pain will go away with a cortizone injection.

That was on the 24th. of last month and the pain has not eased up at all. It did get worse for 2 days though after the shot. They don't seem to think there is anything wrong with it so the OH doctor lifted some of my restrictions at work and as a result I am in even more pain. I'm not sleeping and I'm crying at work because of the pain and exhaustion.

Can I go get another opinion?

Will work comp pay for it?

Default Re: Can I Get a Second Opinion

Yes, you can seek another opinion and WC should pay for it.

In Wisconsin, injured employees are generally entitled to seek two opinions. Your first choice was used when you presented for treatment on the Saturday following your injury. Because that doctor referred you on for additional treatment, your are still within the first "chain of referral" and you can seek another opinion. Choose carefully, though, because this is your last choice if you choose to seek another opinion.

Good luck.

Quote Quoting angelmeg30 View Post
    After about 3 weeks in P.T. and no improvements he said that the M.R.I did show a small maniscus tear (unsure why he didn't mention that to me in the first place) and sent me to see an Orthopedics doctor to have them stick a scope in it and see what was going on in there. When I saw that doctor all he really said was he didn't see anything on the M.R.I and his "gut instinct" is the pain will go away with a cortizone injection.
    Hi angelmeg30,

The same thing happened to me. The WC doctor said it was just a knee sprain after looking at the MRI, then he took 50cc of fluid out my knee and gave me a cortisone injection. I was in even worse pain and most of the fluid was back by the appointment one week later. That's when he finally told me that the MRI showed a slight tear in the meniscus. The WC doctor is now trying to blame my knee problems on my weight, Fibromyalgia, and degenerative changes. I never had problems with my knees before!

The difference is that they had me out of work from that first injection(Mid August), until last week. The insurance company called the doctor and asked for me to be put on light duty. I did two full days and then couldn't take it anymore because I could hardly walk by the end of the day. I have been out of work using my own sick & vacation time since then, however my job says that if the dr states that I can be still out on WC as of 12/2, then they will credit my time back. I go back to the dr this Thursday and I'm interested to see what he will say because my co-workers and supervisor witnessed how much pain it was for me to walk around. One even suggested that I get a wheelchair because both legs are now hurting, the right due to overcompensation.

The bottom line is if you can't do work, call your dr immediately and ask to be seen. You should not have to endure that much pain.

Wow...that is almost exactly whats been happening to me. I called my OH doctor this morning and he refused to reevaluate my restrictions and he won't give me anything for pain either. His nurse told me he said that I needed to be up walking on it and to take Tylenol and Ibuprofin for the pain. He might as well have told me to pop a couple of m&m's because those don't even touch the pain.

I'm getting really depressed...I hurt all the time, I'm not sleeping more then a couple hours at a crack, and I am constantly in fear of falling and making it worse cuz my left knee buckles on me all the time. Last month I broke 2 of my toes on the right foot cuz it buckled on me coming down stairs. I can't take time off work because I don't have any sick time or vacation time...I need my job and I fear them making things really difficult for me at work and trying to get me to quit. I'm gonna call my employer tomorrow and talk to her about getting another opinion...I'm kinda affraid another doctor will tell me same thing though. Grrr...this is frustrating!

Wow, you are really going through it! Is the OH doctor in the same building where you work? If so, you should go in there and let them know that the Tylenol and Ibuprofen are not doing it and ask for something stronger.

Hang in there! Whatever you do, try not to quit. Keep a positive outlook as far as seeing another doctor and what they will say.