Default Cost of Spinal Fusion, Settlement Offer

Just curious.....

Anyone know what the ballpark figure is to have a Spinal Fuison with Laminectomy performed? I have tried a search on the internet and have come up with varying numbers ranging from $70,000 to $115,000.

The reason I ask is because I have recently had a rather low-ball settlement offer thrown at me in order to keep my claim at a denied status. The amount I have been offered wouldn't cover any possible medical care--including future surgery.

I am 7 days away from hearing ( my WC claim began in Aug 2008) and desparate for money--only because my injury has made me so and affected every aspect of my life. Deep down I know I shouldn't settle out of court, but fear that the judge may uphold the denial, and consequently I walk away with nothing.
    HELP!!!!

Default Re: Cost of Spinal Fusion,settlement Offer, Desperate, Confused, and Scared

Instrumentation alone could run $50K. All said and done with a L5-S1 discectomey and full fusion, SI fusion, and the PT, it has been over $300K. From begining of injury to now, awaiting final disposition by ALJ, it has been just a few thousand shy of $400K.

From what I understand you will not get anywhere near what the actual medical costs would be. They know they have you over a barrel and the money will not go for future medical needs. They also price at the wholesale level. What those amounts are, I have no idea and am trying to find out for myself as I am in the settlement phase myself.

Default Re: Cost of Spinal Fusion,settlement Offer, Desperate, Confused, and Scared

Carriers are reluctant to pay future medical moeny for surgeries you may or may not have.
    This coverage is for your ER, not you/IW... if there is treatment necessary to ''cure and/or releive from the effects of your injury'', which is the intent of WC, you should get that treatment prior to any settlement.

The reason for setaside arrangements for future medical is to ensure you/IW's have the money to pay out of pocket for FMC... not to shift liability costs to another party...namely the taxpayer.

Under the new Medicare Secondary Payor Act rules... all WC/PI claims that include medical treatment are being reported to CMS/Medicare and tracked. When you become Medicare eligible, you'll have to prove any FMC money has been exhausted before Medicare will pick up the tab.

Unhappy Re: Cost of Spinal Fusion,settlement Offer, Desperate, Confused, and Scared

Thank you both for your responses.
    My story is long and complicated, so I'll spare the details. But, in a nutshell my claim is at denial status-- and due to my hearing coming up the end of the week, I have had a few offers thrown my way to keep it that way. I spoke to my lawyer and she stated that the offer on the table was the final one and we wouldn't be able to get much more than that. It is a low offer ( under 40K) and I did accept, as I am afraid of losing my claim, also to have to deal with this misery for much longer--( the IME Dr's reports have accomplished their job(s) in scaring me. I haven't signed anything yet, and my acceptance is compltely verbal. Is it too late for me to change my mind? Do I have to accept settlement because I already said so? Intuition and common sense have suddenly kicked in, as I am young and in need of care of my back ( which I haven't yet received).
    I need an answer on this PLEASE...anyone....as soon as possible.

You can back out of any settlement until a judge reviews for adequacy, and at that point you tell the ALJ you are not happy with what you agreed to...you don't feel that agreement fully addressed the potential needs you will face medically.

It is a low offer ( under 40K)
    Benefits in WC are pretty much pre determined, as are the indemnity dollars. Based on your PPD rating, the state has determined the amount of money you are due.
    The only real negotiated dollars in a comp claim are those for future medical treatment. Carriers are not quick to jump at paying you off ''big dollars'' for medical where there is no guarantee you'll seek further treatment...many IW's don't.

Work injuries are not about settlement like a personal injury case would be. Work injury is about treatment, recovery and a return to work. The sooner the better. And, most cases work out that way.