California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Choi

Default Stephen Choi

Choi, Stephen, MD (License No. C-50603) - six months suspension, stayed, with probation until 12/15/2010
    Anyone dealt with him?

Default Re: Stephen Choi

For what...?\
    Why are you considering this Dr...? PTP, PQME... AME.
    Wanna elaborate on your question...

What is the nature of the disciplinary action you site here...?

Quote Quoting BvIA View Post
    For what...?\
    Why are you considering this Dr...? PTP, PQME... AME.
    Wanna elaborate on your question...

What is the nature of the disciplinary action you site here...?
    Sorry, I guess I was being Captain Vague

My dealings with him will be as a QME, just kinda wondering what to expect from him. Since the insurance company chose him I'm assuming it probably won't be good, but I have no idea.

I believe the disciplinary action had to do with him failing to serve his reports to an injured worker or his atty.

Also, how long should I expect a QME appointment to last?

Why did the carrier select this Dr to perform the medical/legal evaluation... YOU had to have that opportunity...if you don't have an atty. If you do have atty...then your AA and the DA/CA choose together. Something missing here... did you miss your opportunity to choose the specialty and physician/PQME you'll see ?

Also, how long should I expect a QME appointment to last?
    Depends on the issue being disputed.

If the penalties were just for timeliness.. I don't think I'd be all that concerned. LOTS of PQME/AME's have been behind in getting reports out... the more disputed issues the IW/ER/IC get into...the more medical/legal reports are necessary. There also have been over 2500 QME's leave the system in the recent past. The report was about 2 years ago. I'd have to imagine over 5K by now. The DWC contracts with these Dr's, they are not selected by the parties (except AME's), but from a panel provided by the medical unit.

I'm in a carveout where the IC chooses any QME they wish and I have the right to appeal using one of 3 QMEs that will be chosen by me from a list of 3 provided by the committee that oversees the carveout. (labor-management committee, not a state committee)

Oh, and I'm not allowed an atty for most of the process.

Some labor agreement/contract that would deny an employee/union member the RIGHT to legal representation.

Quote Quoting BvIA View Post
    Some labor agreement/contract that would deny an employee/union member the RIGHT to legal representation.
    Hard to see how they justified giving up your right to representation without getting squat in return as being beneficial to us.

Anyway, have you ever dealt with Choi before? And if he's an insurance lackey would it be beneficial/possible to try to get him removed if he puts anything false in his report? Obviously there would have to be something irrefutable, but you never know.

I'm not sure what you are describing is even legal. The labor code is clear in the dispute resolution process... in the 'old' days, there was provision for AQME/Applicant QME..you, and DQME/Defense QME...the ER/IC... and then AME/Agreed Medical Evaluator.
    Under the new statutes... the DWC medical unit certs and contracts with Dr's to perform PQME medical/legal evaluation. And it's not the way you describe.

You cannot give up legal rights in a negotiated contract...regardless of what it says. No agreement can go around the law. That's why there is ''rule of law''.
    I'm in a carveout where the IC chooses any QME they wish and I have the right to appeal using one of 3 QMEs that will be chosen by me from a list of 3 provided by the committee that oversees the carveout. (labor-management committee, not a state committee)
    Thats' what I'm taling about .. THE DWC medical unit provides the list of Panel QME...not any 'committee' that isn't realted to the DWC. Thats' the law.

And if he's an insurance lackey would it be beneficial/possible to try to get him removed if he puts anything false in his report? Obviously there would have to be something irrefutable, but you never know.
    The PQME is supplied by the DWC... there isn't another way to get a QME. Not under the law/labor code.
    PQME evaluation is a written medical/legal opinion the same as if the Dr were in the witness stand in a court room. WC doesn't use courtroom/witness testimony of a Dr.
    PQME can be deposed if there is dispute. And, a DOR for hearing can be filed and medical testimony from your PTP provided to dispute the PQME Dr findings. But, judges frown on that, as this is a legal process and that's what PQME's are for.

if he puts anything false in his report?
    I know you see all over these board where the PQME or AME or IME ...lies in the report. IMHO...thats not true. There is no evidence to prove this to be the case....you cannot legislate ''opinion'' and while this Dr/QME may be paid by the carrier... so does your PTP. So why would one 'lie' vs the other ? Doesn't make any sense. When all the providers are being paid by the same party... whos to say one or the other is not telling the truth. They all see it as they see it. And all Dr's are apt to have differing opinion. There is no patient/treater relationship between the IW and a medical/legal evaluator.

Looks like there is a law that changes the law for 'carve-out' situation specifically. Much like a legally self insured, these construction companys/ER's have prevailed in getting their own WC system.

The dispute resolution is not handled by the DWC, medical unit does not provide the PQME, the the ER has their own process for settling disputed issues.

Alternative Dispute Resolution

Originally two collective bargaining agreements, both Pipe Trades, had an alternative dispute resolution structure in which the ombudsperson tries to resolve the dispute, followed by a meeting with the board of trustees and finally arbitration. Subsequent alternative dispute resolution processes do not involve the boards of trustees. In a similar three-step process the board of trustee consultation is replaced by mediation. An exception is the Laborers agreement, in which the case goes immediately to arbitration if the ombudsperson is unsuccessful in resolving the dispute.

In terms of length of time for conflict resolution, the most rapid alternative dispute resolution process is in the first Pipe Trades agreement. Under this agreement, conflicts should take no longer than 112 days to resolve. The alternative dispute resolution process with the longest time for conflict resolution is the Laborers agreement, in which conflicts can last up to 180 days.
    The full story on carveouts is here http://www.dir.ca.gov/chswc/CarveOut...treport.html#5

And Lobor Code http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...file=3200-3219

Yes, I had (have)him as a PQME, in my honest opinion...he is an insurance freindly doc. Nothing nice to say about him