New York Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured New York Workers

• New York Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• New York Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default How WC Destroyed My Life

WC has played games with me to the point of me breaking . WC held back my payments for many months where it just became frustrating & annoying . I do have a lawyer & the lawyer states that WC can hold back my money until a court date is appointed. So, what do I do for money in the meantime??? Use my credit cards? How about racking up my credit cards with cash advance!!?? Sell my gold ?? Borrow from parents??!! Move back home??
    My court date finally did come after 8 months of me suffering with no cash. The judge awarded me some money back. I finally received my check right near the very very very end of when WC had to pay it by a deadline .
    Doesnt matter about this check that I received. I was so far backed up with bills that this check didnt even do justice for me . I did do cash advance on my credit cards. Im being charged nearly 23% for cash advance. I had to sell my gold for money. Had to borrow 3k from dad .
    Heres the best part......... I had to finally go into a debt program! My credit is now screwed. I will not be able to take out a loan, wont be able to apply for credit cards etc I am now on depression meds.
    I did not deserve this . My reports & mri shows damage . Even though i do not do the things that i wish I can do, I still have the thoughts in my head that I am being watched & filmed. They will alter tapes & will do anything to get me off of comp.
    My laywer that I have is very well known. But why do they continue to say that there is nothing that can be done about my situation.
    Moral of the story.....My life was destroyed by WC , im know on pills & now in a debt program. Im sure I cant sue either!!!
    ANY ADVICE OR PM'S WILL BE APPRECIATED. If you have private questions, please PM me rather then posting up on the board.
    Not looking for pity, but rather looking for advice how I can change my life.

Default Re: How WC Destroyed My Life/ Need Info

Why did it take 8 months for a hearing? My Lawyer gets me a hearing within 6 weeks.If you are not actively involved in your case and hire a lawyer that does not do their job then this is what happens. It's not your fault.
    Did this case have court dates in between?

Quote Quoting lonce View Post
    Why did it take 8 months for a hearing? My Lawyer gets me a hearing within 6 weeks.If you are not actively involved in your case and hire a lawyer that does not do their job then this is what happens. It's not your fault.
    The IME actually was on my side for quite a few months. One day he just turned on me . He marked me for full work when I have all kinds of back & nerve issues. Because of this , it had to go to court because I cant work & he claimed I could . It took about 7 months to get a hearing & then another month to start receiving my check again.

Quote Quoting lonce View Post
    Sometimes it takes longer there is a backlog I have a very good lawyer and waited 6 months for a date three times so far have been waiting 3 for the latest one. Depends on the hearing site as several in NY were closed for budget reasons.

Sometimes creditors will work with you when you explain. Have you tried any charaties near you and is that a final settlement or just backpay and did the judge award ongoing payments?
    Last edited by Hurt and Feeling Old; 12-31-2009 at 05:20 PM.
    Knowledge in the hands of an IW can be powerful.

Unhappy Re: How WC Destroyed My Life/ Need Info

Quote Quoting Hurt and Feeling Old View Post
    Sometimes it takes longer there is a backlog I have a very good lawyer and waited 6 months for a date three times so far have been waiting 3 for the latest one. Depends on the hearing site as several in NY were closed for budget reasons.

Sometimes creditors will work with you when you explain. Have you tried any charaties near you and is that a final settlement or just backpay and did the judge award ongoing payments?
    Its backpay & was awarded ongoing payments. My life took a nasty turn for the worst because of not receiving payments for 8 months. You actually feel like you are being punished for getting hurt. I couldnt sleep at night because of my credit card abuse, thinking how the system screwed me, etc.. I really dont know how these people can sleep at night knowing that they are screwing injured people over. But then again, I do know how they sleep at night... They get paid & go home worry-free !! As my father once said "People with money have power" I truly believe that statement now .
    As for creditors, its too late . I already signed into a program to eliminate debt. My credit score was excellent... its now poor . What a shame right? Cant even think about buying a home now. That dream may have been destroyed forever. Funny thing is...IC will continue to kick me down & make things worse. We all know what the next step will be . (its like clock work) It will be a video tape that will be created by a PI & handed in & claimed as Fraud.. Why ? To stop my payments once again & to have to wait for a court date for another 6 months. Hence, no money for me again until a court date. Even though I dont & cant do things...the slightest & most redicoulous thing will be shown to the judge to try & discourage me & lower my ongoing payments.

Default Re: How WC Destroyed My Life

Sorry to hear it destroyed your credit in the meantime but glad you are getting payments now and should until it is ordered otherwise.
    The IC will try many things. I have had PI's on and off for 3 years now and they have yet to produce anything because I stick to my restrictions and have nothing to fear.

Dreams never fully die there is still time to rebound and you may still own a home, may be different than you pictured it but it is still working towards a dream. Most negitives on credit reports only last for a certain time and sounds like you are working to fix things. keep your chin up
    Knowledge in the hands of an IW can be powerful.

Hey, welcome to the scumbags of NY state system. I went through 12, yes 12 years of harrassment, benefit cuts, reductions, probably 15-20 IME's, can't tell how many hearings. Finally the pigs settled for a wopping $400 per week when I was averaging $1500 per week when working. Noww, after this peice of shit case is settled, 3 years ago, the attys say, yup, your done, no more animals will bother you. Now I get a letter from the carrier, they want me to sign a medical release form or else my benefits get cut. After 12 years of insanity, indignation and harrassment, I'm being told that I have to help these fcking scumbags recover monies from the special funds. Its the 15.8 med release stuff. I have to wonder what happened to the 4th amendment and the right to privacy. **** this state and governing cretons, I hope it ****ing melts. Sorry about sounding so angry, I was never this way until I was involved with this system designed to help the worker.

I know this is the NY thread, but I had to rant also. We are where the IC wants us, broke and beaten down. I use to post on here all the time, until my internet and phone were shut off. Iam now at a friends house. Ive had to move, temporaraly in with a friend. Iam in my 40's and I have to move home with my mother.

I had a excellent paying job. Great benefits, money in the bank a nice car, house. A wonderful daughter with medical problems, so keeping my medical insurance was always a big deal to me. I had to start making Cobra payments at $700.00 a month, did that as long as possible. I now have no home, and very little money. I was able to pull a little out of a 401K, but they only let you take a little under a hardship.

I was offered a "modified job" I did that until I was able. My doctor put me back on TTD. The IC is not satisfied with the Dr., his stating that Iam unable to work due to neck and back problems are not enough. My aa went to court, but they took it off calender. They want me to go back to AME, of course Iam unable to get an appointment for 8 months. So here I am homeless and no money. Iam thankful I DO have family and great friends to help me through this. Now the IC wants to offer me a settlement? Its a chickenshit offer, with no future medical. But when someone gets so far down they are hoping I will jump at it. They can go FU@$ ?Themselves!!!

Ive said this before, they are lowlife scum.. They will get theirs in the end. Ive often wondered how the DA's and IC's decided to work for the darkside and try to help destroy peoples lifes?

Ive not been posting lately, but I do think about everyone on here and hope things are going better for them. But it never amazes me, the new people going through the same shit. Good luck to all of us. Its gotta get better.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world...indeed...its the only thing that ever has - Author Margaret Mead