California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WPI Rating

Exclamation WPI Rating

can some one tell me what a wpi of 35% means
    Last edited by terrible2006; 01-04-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Default Re: Wpi

It means you get 245 weeks of indemnity payments. There is a max rate for PDA/Permenant Disability Advances, around $290 now. So if you are a max wage earner...your indemnity is around $71k plus/minus.

There is no way to force a lump sum payment, and if you are successful in a C&R, you would be paid in ''todays dollars'', a 3%/annum discount would be taken. Value would be around 58K cash.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...file=4650-4664

There may be other benefits you are eligible for.

Exclamation Wpi35% and Bvia

thanks for response BVIA, also that rating was given to me by ame is that the final rating or does it go somewhere else? thanks once again

Default Re: Wpi35% and Bvia

The WPI is an impairment rating. It has to be modified for age, occupation and future earning capacity before payment duration can be determined.
    That will be done by the DEU
    http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/DEU.html

Quote Quoting .SH View Post
    The WPI is an impairment rating. It has to be modified for age, occupation and future earning capacity before payment duration can be determined.
    That will be done by the DEU
    http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/DEU.html
    The rating does NOT have to be done by DEU.
    The AME rating should be calculated to PD/WPI and final. The parties can settle the claim with out further med/legal evaluation or court.

Unless there is a dispute to that rating by you or the IC... that rating stands.
    ONLY IF there can be no informal settlement, the parties would go to trial and a judge can only rely on a DEU rating for Finding w/Award and Order.

The process requires the PTP, PQME or AME as the case may be to issue a final ratable report...including a rating.

The rating isn't always per the AME. If your PTP has written a P&S report and has some valid points that weren't considered by the AME your rating could be adjusted.

The PTP should be addressing and providing a PD/WPI rating in the Physicians Final Report of P*S/MMI Status. Including the issue of apportionment.
    AME would be the same, or it's not a ratable report.
    The only medical/legal report that is mandatory to be submitted to DEU for rating is a PQME report. And until the DEU issues the rating, the claim doesn't move forward with any further dispute.
    Ratings can always be adjusted until the claim settles. And even after that the WCAB retains jurisdication over all awards, and the carrier can petition for a reduction.

I, too am trying to figure this out. I was reading on the DEU website and there ratings manual that a WPI rating is readjusted by them before a final PD rating is issued as well. They had a specific formula for it as well depending on location of injury(s). I was given a 6% WPI rating by my PQME. BUT, going by the DEU's formula it would be readjusted to 17%. Again, that is if I am understanding it correctly. I have meeting with my Attorney on Thursday to go over this much confusing stuff.

Doubtful you are understanding the PD/WPI ratings completely. Ratings are very complex issues... even PQME's are required to take classes in rating.

The PTP is mandated to provide a final P&S/MMI From DWC-5, ratable report. That does not mean a PD rating, but a rating using the AME guides, and converting that to a PD/WPI using the PDRS/rating schedule as adopted by the DWC adm dir.
    A PQME report is not valid unless the same is true... FINAL PD/WPI rating. All PQME reports are to be sumitted to the DEU for review. The claim cannot move forward until the DEU rates the report.

IF either party wishes a consultative, or informal rating done by the DEU, on a PTP report that can be requested. A DEU rating is not mandatory but for the PQME, a claim can be resolved based on the PTP rating.

BvIA. you realize you just explained in different wording however. Exactly, what I was trying to say. In my particular case. I was not assigned a rating by a PTP. Only by a PQME. My claim was denied. The PQME agreed with my PTP I was seeing until the claim was denied. I have been seeking treatment through county out of my own pocket. My injury was determined to have happened in COE. Last letter I got from my Attorney was about a month ago for "Demand for Settlement" to IC. As far as the ratings. If I go off of the chart and instructions the DEU has on their site my rating would be 17%. But, PQME only rated 6%. I'm not really sure why the difference. And I have asked the question: is PD and WPI different ratings altogether?