Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Payment Marked "Soc Sec for Ins"

Hello...I have a question about SSDI. My wife applied for SSDI back in 09/09 and haven't heard much since. Today she got a check from the US Treasury thats has "soc sec for ins" on it. Is this an indication she has been approved? She hasn't received any notification one way or another since she applied.

Thanks in advanced.

Default Re: Question

Quote Quoting hotmess View Post
    Hello...I have a question about SSDI. My wife applied for SSDI back in 09/09 and haven't heard much since. Today she got a check from the US Treasury thats has "soc sec for ins" on it. Is this an indication she has been approved? She hasn't received any notification one way or another since she applied.

Thanks in advanced.
    Social Security for Insured Maybe?

SSA is so backed up it's difficult to tell what that check is for... the letter notifing you of award to SSDI application should be first...and generally SSA likes a automatic deposit...if you provided that information, there wouildn't be a check, but notice.

Look for a letter in the next few days/week to see what the status is...otherwise, call SSA and ask them. What you get here is generic, your situation requires specific answers.

Thanks for the info...She never gave any bank info. Just seemed a little strange to get a check out of the blue. I'll have her call tomorrow.

Default Re: Payment Marked "Soc Sec for Ins"

Well, her notice of award came today...The next question I have is that the figures don't seem to add up. I just went over her W-2 forms and apparently some of her wages were not taking in consideration for SS. When she was working, she was carrying the health care for both of us. The payment for the health care was taken directly out of her pay check as 'pre tax dollars'. Those pre tax dollars show up on her W-2 form as a "cafeteria plan" and are figured in to her gross pay. However, it isn't figured in on line 1 of her W-2(wages, tips and other comp.) Should SS consider those pre tax wages for SSDI or for that matter any type of SS? FYI, her pre tax dollars were figured into her WC payments.

Thanks

SSA takes into consideration the wages you paid FICA takes on. Not necessarily what you are looking at on a W-2 form.

There would also be a difference in the SSDI award amount and what you actually receive. This could be a difference due to taking the SSDI early as would be a reduction in normal retirement benefits taken early.

So trying to figure the award based on a W-2 or other tax documents would not necessarily reflect the right numbers.

You can go to www.ssa.gov and use the work sheets/calculators there, and there is also a complete detail of your earnings history.
    FYI, her pre tax dollars were figured into her WC payments.
    SSA and WC are not related, nor are the wages used for the same periods.
    WC is based on AWW/average weekly wage at the time of injury... SSA uses the entire life earnings prior to an award of retirement or disability.

That makes sense about not paying FICA on the pre tax dollars and not be used to determine her SSDI amount. SSA is saying that her WC payments exceed the 80% cap, which with the figures SSA is using this is true (not taking into account the pre tax dollars). I guess I'm just trying to make a point (to myself anyway...lol) that whether the wages are taxable or non taxable dollars its still wagers earned and should be taken into consideration by SSA for the 80% cap. Thanks for your insight BvIA, I always find you post helpful.

that whether the wages are taxable or non taxable dollars its still wagers earned and should be taken into consideration by SSA for the 80% cap.
    Gross wages are taken into consideration for the 80% cap. In fact, the average is based on your highest earning quarters. Not just the quarter immediately prior to the injury.

The reason the 40 points/quarters are generally the last/most recent 10 years are used for calculating wages/benefits is that traditionally these are the highest wage earning years for most people...the longer you work, the more you make, it would stand to reason for most people the time/years immediately prior to the injury, or normal retirement would be the highest wage periods.

Quote Quoting hotmess View Post

Thanks in advanced.
    Although this is an old thread, It is coming up first in google searching for "Soc Sec for Ins"
    This link is a more revealing discussion. http://www.atxcommunity.com/topic/31...om-government/
    Basically, this check probably reflects an increase in benefits that took time to process, so there was a backlog of money owed to you that wasn't added to your monthly payment for a while. You are probably getting this one-time check as a catch up and your future monthly payments should be larger now.

Cash the check and enjoy.

I got one about the beginning of October 2012, sat on it a while out of disorganization then got curious as to whether it was from the IRS (you paid too much in taxes-here's your money back!) or Social Security, and looked closer.

This little phrase 'Soc Sec for Ins' has probably the same meaning as "miscellaneous". Maybe "Social Security for Insured," as in "this check is for you." "SS Back Payment" would have been clearer.
    That's my guess.

I got a check dated 01-18-13 from the U.S. Treasury, Kansa City, MO. The notation on it reads: SOC SEC FOR INS. I am a Canadian that worked in both countries. Back in July 2012 I applied for benefits under the US/Canada Totalization Agreement. So I figured (maybe just guessing) that the notation means a US Treasury Account out of which the money is paid. To me the SOC SEC FOR INS means: Social Security for a person that is registered under the Immigration and Naturalization Services and lives out of the US. I'm guessing because I don't have any confirmation letter from the Social Security Administration. Perhaps someone can add to what I've written.