California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Northern California - The Great State of Confusion

Default C&R or Stip - Case Close to Settlement

Brief history:
    Injured 08/07 to lower back. Surgery, fusion L5-S1 07/08. P&S came back 20%. Trying to decide Stip and Award or C7R.

OK...My questions are as follows:

1) If I choose the stip and award with open future medical, this only covers the original injury correct?

2) If I choose C&R then the case is closed on this injury forever?

3) If I injure , which most cases show will happen eventually (but hope against hopes it NEVER happens again), a disc above or below at a new job, and the doctors state that it is in direct corallation to the previous injury, then the IC that worked the case on the original injury is responsible for most of the care? or not?

4) I guess basically, my main question is if I take the C&R is my current IC liable for injuries that happen in the future to other parts of my back? I don't want to screw my family because I know how much they spent on my back already, and I don't think I could ever afford that on my own.

This site is great, I just couldn't find the answers I needed so that is why I am posting. Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice in this matter.

Default Re: C&R or Stip.case Close to Settlement

1) If I choose the stip and award with open future medical, this only covers the original injury correct?
    Right... under the same procedures you face now
    Right...but keep in mind, you can't force a C&R...it's not up to you.
    3) If I injure , which most cases show will happen eventually (but hope against hopes it NEVER happens again), a disc above or below at a new job, and the doctors state that it is in direct corallation to the previous injury, then the IC that worked the case on the original injury is responsible for most of the care? or not?
    No...If you C&R the claim... you pay out of pocket for additional treatment. If you RTW and reinjure yourself..it would be a new injury/claim even though same body part.]
    4) I guess basically, my main question is if I take the C&R is my current IC liable for injuries that happen in the future to other parts of my back? I don't want to screw my family because I know how much they spent on my back already, and I don't think I could ever afford that on my own.
    Once you C&R the claim...it is OVER. NO more benefits from this ER/IC for this injury. nada..done'.
    FMC/future medical care to this injured body part is out of your pocket unles you have a new injury though RTW with this ER, or a new ER/job.

Default Re: C&R or Stip.case Close to Settlement

OK..Great...thanks for the quick response....

Default Re: C&R or Stip - Case Close to Settlement

Now I have a new question....
    If the IC and I agree on C&R, does this mean only the settlement offer goes to a judge, or will I have to go face the judge over this?
    The more you seem to find out the more questions my wife and I come up with....

If you go to MSC, and you don't have an atty, then the IW would see a judge.
    If the agreement/C&R is done between the parties...and probably by mail, the docuement are reviewed by a WCAB judge for adequacy to the IW... no reason to ''see'' a judge.

Yes, in a C&R the entire claim closes...you cannot come back later and claim benefits.

Quote Quoting Telecomcal View Post
    Brief history:
    Injured 08/07 to lower back. Surgery, fusion L5-S1 07/08. P&S came back 20%. Trying to decide Stip and Award or C7R.

OK...My questions are as follows:

This site is great, I just couldn't find the answers I needed so that is why I am posting. Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice in this matter.
    are you closing your case andf are they giving you a set amount

- - - Updated - - -

i injured my back in 97 and they are trying to get me to go to all this bull .im tired of this and want to close it out but i want some thing back they did not even pay for the suregry i did it on disablity
    let me no how to goabout that award with medical thanks bret

dea537, pay attention to the dates of the thread you're responding to.
    This thread is from 2010, I doubt if Telecomcal is still around.

Welcome to the forums

Tony
    We reserve the right to forbid any user from participating in this forum, and to close any user account, at any time, for any reason. In the interest of the community, this may be done without prior notice or warning.
    http://www.workerscompensationinsura...inks/index.htm

Quote Quoting dea537 View Post
    are you closing your case andf are they giving you a set amount

- - - Updated - - -

i injured my back in 97 and they are trying to get me to go to all this bull .im tired of this and want to close it out but i want some thing back they did not even pay for the suregry i did it on disablity
    You can meet with a work comp attorney and ask if they can represent you with this. I don't recommend doing it without an attorney.

Not really enough info here to know what your situation is.
    What is your current status...are you still TTD, has there been any resolution to your claim... Stips w/Award, or Finding by a judge.
    What 'bull' are you going through?
    What 'disability' paid for treatment/surgery?
    You cannot force a cash buyout of future medical, that is a negotiated item in a C&R/Compromise & Release settlement. The carrier doesn't ever have to cash out the medical in a claim.