Default How Do You Know When to Settle a Workers Comp Case

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Georgia

Im thinking of settling on case to get what I want.... House, vehicle, money.

When do you know the time is right to settle? At what time in your case should you hire an attorney? Work comp seems to never be on my side but they have paid on time each week and for rent each month been good on medical bills.

I am about to lose my house to foreclosure because I have not occupied it for 2 years and FHA just found out I havent been living there and work comp doesnt care that its getting foreclosed on. But they decided to make it accessible for me then said 2 months later to me patient and wait.

Ive needed a vehicle to transport my chair but, they say they wont get me a vehicle. That im not a canidate for one.

I was hit by an 18 wheeler at work. Had brain injury, left leg amputated above the knee, left arm fused at the elbow. I have very little use of my arm. Stomach muscles removed to save my leg but didnt work.

Default Re: Settlement Question Attorney

Sad to read of your accident/injuries. In my experience one may not know if an attorney is needed, until it's to late. It costs nothing to talk to one. Preferably some one with experience. Everything may seem fine now, but there's nothing colder than an accountants heart. Your previous employer and their insurance company have attorneys working for them, you should as well. All the best.

In my opinion you should of talked to an attorney. Youve had life altering injuries. Sorry to hear about that. Like ransa said, they have attorneys, you need one to CYA.

Please talk to a few, make sure they do only work comp and do not represent the defense side also. You need someone to look out for YOUR best interests.

Sounds like you may have a third party case also, if the 18 wheeler was a different company..

Good luck, please keep us posted.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world...indeed...its the only thing that ever has - Author Margaret Mead

Yes im going to start looking into getting a lawyer. The 18 wheeler driver has already tried to sew me but my companies lawyer went after him and didnt have to pay. Neither one of us were charged in the accident... its like a mystery no one knows what happened. Im just thinking of settling but dont know if its 2 early... Im going to talk to a lawyer..... Anyone know a good lawyer in Georgia.

Is 2 years after my accident to late to get a lawyer???

It may have been "I'm gonna sue them before they can sue me..." Brings to mind some girlfriends I had as a US Marine. Only then it was "I'm gonna be angry with him, before he figures out what I did..." For my experience, it's never to late to seek qualified and experienced legal advice. Sooner is better than later, yet later is better than never. All the best.

amputee, I believe the statue of limitations on a third party is 2 years in Calif. I do not know about Georgia. I hope its not to late for you. You need to get on it ASAP.. Do not necessarily go with the attorney whom has the biggest ad in the phone book. Talk to them before you sign, interview them..

Good luck,
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world...indeed...its the only thing that ever has - Author Margaret Mead