California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Notice of Representation from Ic

Hello all,

I am well on my way to settlement with an Insurance Company (IC) for back injury in May 2007. Received good treatment, was declared P & S after 2 years and stated settlement talks with IC even though we didn't agree on Permanent Rating. I consulted an attorney but based on the knowledge I had gained from many different resources, he felt I could continue on my own with a Compromise and Release with the IC. I beat the IC down until I got a settlement offer I could agree on and signed the C&R in late November, 2009.

Today I received a "notice of representation" letter (legal document) from an attorney's office representing the IC in from of the Workers Comp Appeals Board. I am assuming but wanted to check in here, that my paperwork has finally made it through the pipe and is getting ready to appear before a Workers Comp Judge for approval of my settlement. As I am not represented by a lawyer, this is a surprising notice to receive, and am wondering if this is a normal course of action. Or is there any action that I need to pursue?

Any one with experience on settling with a C&R without an attorney who could help enlighten me on the process of the C&R once it is signed by both parties would be great. Or someone who was represented also. :-) I am looking for information on how long it takes for a judge to approve the settlement (i.e. months, years) and is it normal for me to receive this notice of representation.

Thanks much
    -Jen in Ramona, CA

Default Re: Notice of Representation from Ic

Jen, I dont know, can you call the I&A officer and ask?
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world...indeed...its the only thing that ever has - Author Margaret Mead

Hello again,

Yes, I have a call into an I&A worker today, although it is some sort of phone-loop he** and not sure if I actually got my message through. I also had someone from the board private message me and give me more info on what the hearings/approval process means and what to expect.

Thanks for your response.

Jen in Ramona

Thanks for the update Jen. I hope it all works out for you...
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world...indeed...its the only thing that ever has - Author Margaret Mead

Hello gypsy,

Was able to talk to I&A office today. C&R hasn't made it through to the WCAB database yet. Re-thinking my strategy, very low rating by IC, didn't realize that I could dispute it. Going through all of my options now and waiting for the Claims Adjuster to call me back as I am going to stop the C&R and get another evaluation (hopefully from QME panel) on permanent rating. If not form QME panel (i.e. it is way past the 20 days of PTP report) then directly with the DEU to give me a rating. Once that is done, will start talks with IC again about settlement.

Keep your fingers crossed and thanks for your nice words. Just when you think you are an educated injured worker, more things crop up. As I mentioned I have someone from this board who has taken a lot of time (and emails) to talk through a lot of this and I feel like a different strategic plan of action is required.

Thanks again
    -Jen

Quote Quoting jenbutterup View Post
    Hello gypsy,

I have someone from this board who has taken a lot of time (and emails) to talk through a lot of this and I feel like a different strategic plan of action is required.

Thanks again
    -Jen

Some of the long time posters on the California forum are a tight group, who worry about the injured workers on this site. There are a few members that have helped me a lot through pm's. Some issues are better discussed in a pm (IMO).

The California work comp system can be very confusing, even for attorney's to keep up on changing laws.We need to help each other, to prevent the insurance companies from taking advantage. They cannot take advantage of an injured worker who knows the laws. That is an insurance companys worst nightmare.