Maryland Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Maryland Workers

• Maryland Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Maryland Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Question Shoulder Injury Settlements

I was injured just over two years ago with a torn right labrum. I have been seen 5 surgeons & I have had 3 surgeries having 7 pins put in my shoulder & about 150 PT visits. I was off of work for 13 months. Basically I have been paid the 2/3 rd of my pay & all my doctors have been paid. I was given a work evaluation & rated with limited over the head work & ladder use & a permanent restriction limit of lifting 15 lbs. I am a electrician. I have worked & struggled thru the last year but still have problems with my shoulder & have been told I will need future surgeries & possible shoulder replacement. I have had 3 insurance adjustors ,the previous 2 were very good but this last one will not return contact. Finally I had to go to his supervisor to get contact. I was told they do not have to reimburse me for my last to doctor visits which required me to miss work & that they have no record of me filing a Maryland workman comp claim & if one is not filed they will no longer honor any future complications. I requested wanting copies of all my records which I was also told I am not entitled to unless I subpoena with a attorney.
    So today I contacted a attorney & set up a appointment. I have constantly been told by others to get a attorney from the beginning but held off because I was thinking I was being taking care of.

My questions is being they have paid for my time off & I am back working at my same pay though I do have restrictions. I feel my future earnings & even employment maybe be hurt by my impairment. Is it possible to get a settlement with my future case still open ? Am I doing the right thing via getting a attorney ? If anyone has had a similar experience how much or type of settlement can be possible?

Default Re: Shoulder Injury Settlements

That's the best thing to do, hire a wc attorney, glad to hear it....

It sounds they are trying to get out of paying any future benifits...

You need to get future medical care before you settle, if not any surgeries due to your work related injury will be out of pocket.

As far as a settlement, nobody knows, everyone is different.

Like I said, glad you hired an attorney.

Good Luck...

Thing is the doctor said I would most likely need a replacment by the time I am 70 so that being said the case will never settle. back this past January I started having what felt like my arm locking up & slightly coming out of socket.This would cause tense & pain & then there would be a click & it felt fine. So they reopened my case & x rayed finding I have developed bone spurs From over working my weak arm.The first surgeon said I would need to have it resurfaced as two bones were rubbing & sent me to Baltimore to a supposive top surgeon . I seen him in March & since this time these occurances have died down ( bone wore them selves down) He basically asked me questions shook my hand said well your working now if we did surgery at this time you will be starting all over & said let's wait till it gets really bad . Also being back to work & compensating to do my job is starting to have it's effects on other areas of my body let alone wears me out

It sounds like this "top surgeon" is another ic stooge... How would he know a time frame for a replacement especially with you being back at work and with any other activities you maybe doing in the course of a day.....

Your case will settle sooner or later. You will be MMI, given a rating and end your case. They want to get you off there books. That's probably why the "top surgeon" said your good to go......

Give your attorney any records you may have, s/he will get it straight..

http://www.aboutstryker.com/shoulder...eplacement.php

Good Luck..

Circumstances vary, but generally patients are considered for total joint replacement if:

Functional limitations restrict not only work and recreation, but also the ordinary activities of daily living.
    Pain is not relieved by more conservative methods of treatment such as medications (including, for the shoulder, injections of cortisone, a powerful anti-inflammatory medication) and physical therapy and/or by restricting activities.
    Stiffness in the joint is marked and, in the shoulder, significantly limits range of motion of the arm.
    X-rays show advanced arthritis or other problems

These are my exact diagnosis

Now its coming up on 3 years and I have seen 6 surgeons .The status is need a partial shoulder replacment but was told we should wait cause if they did it now I would need a total replacment with in two years.When this happens most likely I will not be able to do my current electrician job (30 years this year) Have not heard anything from workman comp or anything.

Now coming up on 4 years .Did recieve a letter from work comp that 2 disputes have been filed

I have a work comp hearing next week .Also my rating is 49 % disabled

Any clues to what I can expect ?

My shoulder is still declining and am also in need for future surgeries