South Carolina Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured South Carolina Workers

• South Carolina Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• South Carolina Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Unhappy Bilateral Lumbar Fusion (PLF) Surgery

I would someone explain to me if they had this surgery how it is a little scared.What do they do. Dr said i stay in the hospital 2 to 5 days long time to recovery. Am i looking at alot of money when I get this surgery.
    Last edited by mdeese; 04-11-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Default Re: Bilateral Lumbar Fusion (PLF) Surgery

Hey mdeese,
    A bilateral fusion is a surgical term meaning two sided. I will be having this done in a few weeks. They will need to go in from the anterior(front) to remove the damaged disc and put in the inert(typically donated bone) in it's place. then roll you over and go in postireir(sp) or through the back to place the screws and pins in place. I have had a previous fusion(posterier only, and you can expect approx a six month recovery period.
    If you were not a bit scared I would be worried about your mental stare. This surgery is done frequently and ddoes have some risk as all surgeries do.
    If you have further questions feel free to ask. good luck.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to opens one mouth and remove all doubt.

Unhappy Re: Bilateral Lumbar Fusion (PLF) Surgery

Thanks Flyboyfamer For writing and let me know about it. I am depressed but my husand can't see that he this is serious and scared. I have been on wc last yr 11/11/2009.The is not good I get $166.00 a week thats not alot and my husand does not work unempoleyment bills paling up.I was going to put in for ssdi put my atty said know it hurt my wc case.
    Last edited by mdeese; 04-12-2010 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Quoting mdeese View Post
    Thanks Flyboyfamer For writing and let me know about it. I am depressed but my husand can't see that he this is serious and scared. I have been on wc last yr 11/11/2009.The is not good I get $166.00 a week thats not alot and my husand does not work unempoleyment bills paling up.I was going to put in for ssdi put my atty said know it hurt my wc case.
    Your atty is doing you a HUGE disservice here... filing for SSDI will NOT hurt your comp claim

Being awarded SSDI would make you Medicare eligible within 30 months of any settlement that changes/closes the medical coverage in the comp claim. That would mean that in any settlement you would have to take Medicare interests into account, and possibly provide for a WCMSA/setaside arrangement. Attys do not like dealing with this, but those who don't may be in for some big financial suprises... ALL claims that settle will be reported to CMS/Medicare and those that fail to include Medicare interests... are subject to Up to 1000K per DAY in penalties.

File your application for SSDI, and get your attys malpractice insurance coverage carriers information.

You may find information on your spine surgery here http://understandingspinesurgery.com...ns.asp?d=bray&

mdeese,
    I understand the depression and financial strain. Please understand you are not in this alone. you have found a very supportive and understanding community here.
    BvIA the link is great and very informative. TY.
    The fear and some apprehension is normal with any surgery especially a spinal procedure. You will do OK as long as you follow your doctors directions and the limitations exactly as he/she gives them.
    Feel free to pm me and i will respond as quickly as i can. I am on here only one or two times a week and a pm will alert me in my e-mail.
    again good luck and feel free to ask questions or just talk.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to opens one mouth and remove all doubt.

After I have my surgery wondering what kind of settlement I'm I looking at. At 166.00 a week.