Default Reaching MMI but Still Not Able to Work

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Ga.
    If my doctor says that I have reached my MMI can the IC stop my weekly payments even though I am still not able to do my job?
    The IC has already notified me of their desire to settle.
    Everyone is telling me to hire a lawyer but, will I be assured a better amount with a lawyer?

Default Re: Reaching MMI but Still Not Able to Work

Aloha Handcrush,

I am HandCut so I can kinda identify w/your handle. (Really I am H20Girl with a cut hand!) Seems that I only ask questions on this board and never reply to other's seeking advice, since I am only a fellow IW, but I can identify w/your question. Scan this board and look for other similar posts. Was this an IME Doc who put you at MMI or your Doctor? In my own experience, WC surely did stop payments, and said I was good to go back to work, even though my own surgeon and Doctor said that I was def. not able to do the work that the IME/IC/ER said I could do. My situation is ongoing and I continue to seek answers. It's not over until the fat lady sings! In my experience, often times what I think is the end of the line really isn't. Always search for plan B.

Peruse this board, use your time to research and learn! If you can get an attorney, do so.

I'm hoping someone in the loop answers you. This board has provided a wealth of info to me and has seen me thru some rough times. Best of Luck!

Has your TP given you a rating % ??
    Do you have permanent restrictions/disability??
    Have you been offered any voc rehab??

They can stop your benefits and TRY to make you settle...

It would be a good idea to go to the GA WC site and make yourself familiar with the comp rules, what benefits are available and what is not.
    http://sbwc.georgia.gov/portal/site/...00bf01020aRCRD

The comp system is set up to provide treatment and wage replacement while you recover from your injury/illness.
    Once you are declared MMI/Max Medical Improvement, you are no longer "disabled'', so TTD would stop.

The state legislature seems to change the statues/laws with each session, so giving specific answers to your questions isn't really possible. A consultation with a WC attorney would be in your best interests. Recent changes are here http://sbwc.georgia.gov/portal/site/...00bf01020aRCRD

Looks like one of your questions may be answered here...
    WHAT IF I AM ABLE TO RETURN TO WORK BUT CAN ONLY GET A LOWER PAYING JOB AS A RESULT OF MY INJURY?You will receive a reduced benefit based upon your earnings. This benefit will not exceed $300.00 if your accident occurred on or after July 1, 2005.
    More FAQ's are here FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT GEORGIA'S WORKERS' COMPENSATION LAWhttp://sbwc.georgia.gov/portal/site/...00bf01020aRCRD
    If my doctor says that I have reached my MMI can the IC stop my weekly payments even though I am still not able to do my job?
    Whether or not you can return to your job is a medical decision. WC is not geared to return you to pre injury condition. If your Dr says you cannot return to your usual and customary job duties, you may be eligible for VR/vocational rehab services.
    Once you are MMI, it is expected you will return to some type of gainful employment. Pre injury employer or job doesn't matter.

If I have reached my MMI and WC stops my weekly payments can I draw unemployment?

Only if you are ''ready willing and able to accept suitable employment if offered". All you can do is file your application for UI, and the state will make that determination.