Virginia Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Virginia Workers

• Virginia Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Virginia Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Question Can a Nurse Case Manager Attend My Doctor Appointment

I would like to thanks all of you folks for assisting me since I fund this web site
    I've received a call from the nurse case manager today, that she w'd meet me next week at my neurosurgeon office, where I received Epidural nerve block injections 3 time and I didn't get any result. I've been on TTD since 08 and this is the first time I've received call from NCM, she wanted also that I sign a form regarding to assigning her as a NCM, I told her I would return her call.

any advise would be appreciated

Default Re: Can Ncm Attand to My Doctor App

You do not have to allow the NCM to be with you in the exam room during your appt with your Dr.
    You do have to permit the NCM to discuss your injury and treatment plan with your Dr.
    The signature she is after is for you to permit her to be with you...you don't have to sign that.
    And, you should stay after the appt to hear the discussion between your Dr and the NCM. You DO have that right.

And before you ask, WC is expressly exempt from HIPPA privacy laws.

Default Re: Can a Nurse Case Manager Attend My Doctor Appointment

Quote Quoting Rob18 View Post
    I would like to thanks all of you folks for assisting me since I fund this web site
    I've received a call from the nurse case manager today, that she w'd meet me next week at my neurosurgeon office, where I received Epidural nerve block injections 3 time and I didn't get any result. I've been on TTD since 08 and this is the first time I've received call from NCM, she wanted also that I sign a form regarding to assigning her as a NCM, I told her I would return her call.

any advise would be appreciated

Hi Rob,

You sound a little leery of the NCM (nurse case manager). Most NCM's are tagging along to make sure you are getting the proper treatment, that you are complying with the doctor's requests and restrictions, and she will help you to understand what is going on with your treatment options. If you are uncomfortable with the NCM in the room while you are having your exam, then she can wait outside until the exam is over, but she will discuss your care with the doctor and report back to your adjuster. Its also just another way for the adjuster/carrier to get the information about your care/case a little faster.

I have seen NCM's really go to bat for their patients and most only have their patients well being in mind. With that said, its only right to also mention that not all NCM agenda's are the same but most NCM's are employed by the comp carrier, and some by the employer. So, if you are hiding anything or exaggerating your symptoms (and I am NOT saying that you are) then the NCM will know it and will inform the adjuster.

Whether or not you sign that form, she will still be assigned to your case and she will still come to your appointments. Go to the first meeting with an open mind. She just may surprise you and advocate on your behalf.

Good luck with your case,

Sterling

But most are as Tony states "Loss Prevention" That means they are there to cut losses for the employer/insurance, not get treatment for the injured worker.

I wouldnt sign anything. I would not let her in the exam room. I hope you have an attorney, because most will tell the NCM to stay away!!!!

Good Luck.

Iam sure there are some "good" NCM, but not enough to risk your treatment over.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world...indeed...its the only thing that ever has - Author Margaret Mead

Quote Quoting Sterling925 View Post
    Hi Rob,

You sound a little leery of the NCM (nurse case manager). Most NCM's are tagging along to make sure you are getting the proper treatment, that you are complying with the doctor's requests and restrictions,

Sterling

my NCM is b"""h, her attitude and approaching during the couple visits with my fissions indicated that she wasn't there for my favors,I did not let her to come in the exam room.

these NCM trying to distractive our cases, now almost 2 years after my DOI, will she assist me??? ""NO"".I do not trust them, I have not been treated as human being,unfortunately worthless, Criminal, etc. I am in a lot of pain due to my injuries(Neck, arms, hands) and PTSD.I don't understand that how these unscrupulous can sleep at the night.

I do agree with InjuredGypsy,I do have AA, I believe in the God, Lord will help all of WI.

God bless you folk.

Thanks for your responds, good luck.