Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Lower Back L-4-5 Fusion Success Rate

I had a fusion at L5/S1 in 06 due to an injury in the military. It took about six months to recover. I still had some minor occasional pain but nothing compared to the pre-surgery pain that radiated into the legs. I was injured again at work in late 08. L4/L5 herniated.
    I did many months of conservative treatment after the 08 injury with no success. I am now two weeks or so from another fusion. Anterior and posterior fusion L4/5 and removing the old hardware (L5/S1) and replacing it in order to keep the whole area stable post op. Very basic description but gets the point across.
    Now to answer your question after my first surgery, and the six months or so of healing, I was doing great. My job at the time of injury consisted of lifting, bending and twisting, sitting and standing for nearly 12 hrs a day. I was at a 4 prior to the second injury.
    I would not have agreed to the upcoming surgery if it was not for the success of the first.
    This was my experience and I know it is not everyone's. Good luck and hope this helps in your decision, knowing that there are successful fusions. BTW if you choose to have the fusion a positive mental outlook is helpful in the recovery process. That coupled with the post op treatment/therapy will up your odds of success.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to opens one mouth and remove all doubt.

I had L4-L5-S1 performed in August 2009. Aside from no pain, I cannot feel any discomfort. I don't know where you live, but I can give you the name of one very good surgeon(if you need one). I am back to playing golf(soon to be my primary hobby). And believe it or not, I was released from my doctor 6 months later with NO RESTRICTIONS. I'm 30 years old, and that may have had something to do with it. I'm not sure. But I would recommend getting the procedure done if you are having back/leg pain. Stay positive and go in with an attitude KNOWING it's the right thing to do.

Exclamation Re: Lower Back L-4-5 Fusion Success Rate

Just thought I would bump this up since so many of us have back problems.

I am an ER nurse as well as WC recipient. I have had two back fusions. I have gone to one of the best hospitals and doctors in the country.

Fusion is NOT done to reduce pain. Fusion is done to stabilize your spine. If your doctor guarantees a reduction in pain - run - run fast.

Your pain may lessen if the cuuse of your pain was from the instability on your spine. Add to that though, cutting through muscles, tissue, bone, with screws, bolts, spacers, etc....

I am 1 1/2 years out from my first fusion (and then it had to be revised again 6 months later) and 1 year out form my second one where they had to do a revision of the first, and then do the disc below the one that they did previously.

This is common. One you are fused, this put un natural pressure on the other discs in your back which are not meant to have that kind of pressure on them.

I now have a spinal cord stimulator implanted in my back, and my back will never be the same.

A neurologist i went to said it best. He said, your back will never be the same. You will end up having surgery after surgery for the rest of your life from the domino effect of the first injury. Be prepared and try to learn to accept that you are injured for life.

I am not trying to scare anyone, but it is best to be prepared. Back injuries are life altering. you entire body relies on your spine for support. Without it healthy, the rest is futile.

My advice to anyone considering back surgery or with a new back injury, is to get many opinions. Conservative is always the best route in the beginning. Start conservative, and work your way up. Investigate your surgeon and find the best possible one.

Good luck to anyone facing this problem. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Please remember that I am not a doctor and these are my OPINIONS only. These opinions come from my experience in both work and personal experiences.

Quote Quoting Nursedina View Post
    Just thought I would bump this up since so many of us have back problems.

I am an ER nurse as well as WC recipient. I have had two back fusions. I have gone to one of the best hospitals and doctors in the country.

Fusion is NOT done to reduce pain. Fusion is done to stabilize your spine. If your doctor guarantees a reduction in pain - run - run fast.

Your pain may lessen if the cuuse of your pain was from the instability on your spine. Add to that though, cutting through muscles, tissue, bone, with screws, bolts, spacers, etc....

I am 1 1/2 years out from my first fusion (and then it had to be revised again 6 months later) and 1 year out form my second one where they had to do a revision of the first, and then do the disc below the one that they did previously.

This is common. One you are fused, this put un natural pressure on the other discs in your back which are not meant to have that kind of pressure on them.

I now have a spinal cord stimulator implanted in my back, and my back will never be the same.

A neurologist i went to said it best. He said, your back will never be the same. You will end up having surgery after surgery for the rest of your life from the domino effect of the first injury. Be prepared and try to learn to accept that you are injured for life.

I am not trying to scare anyone, but it is best to be prepared. Back injuries are life altering. you entire body relies on your spine for support. Without it healthy, the rest is futile.

My advice to anyone considering back surgery or with a new back injury, is to get many opinions. Conservative is always the best route in the beginning. Start conservative, and work your way up. Investigate your surgeon and find the best possible one.

Good luck to anyone facing this problem. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Please remember that I am not a doctor and these are my OPINIONS only. These opinions come from my experience in both work and personal experiences.
    very well said
    another big reason for the fusion is to stop or control the nerve damage
    some people can go longer without the fusion than others.. looking back i wished i would have waited
    but the bright side is im still breathing.. i get to spend time with the wife and grand kids
    hate taking the pain meds but as most of you know sometimes theres no choice in that
    the worst part of it is the limitations
    im 53 yrs old .. never had a car in the shop till after l5-s1 went..
    thats 1 of many hobbies thats out of the question any more
    and it really sux to have to depend on someone else for the small things we took for granted

Default Re: Like to Take a Lower Back L-4-5 Fusion Success Rate Poll

The fusions I have heard of usually resulted in a difference in pain, not necessarily an improvement. Have you sought out other treatments? Physical Therapy? Yoga? Massage? The human body is amazing, and any steps we make on our own to help it recover usually show significant improvement. It's a day-by-day process that a quick surgery often will not replace.

I can for sure talk about this since I had a spinal fusion in Jan. The whole purpose is to stabilize your spine and prevent further nerve damage. A successful surgery will do this however they consider a successful surgery in dropping your pain level a notch or 2 but mainly to relieve further nerve damage and sharp shooting pains. I can attest to it basically degrading your spine further. Before surgery and after the accident I had 3 bulged disc one pinching my S1. I had surgery the sharp shooting pains went away in my leg however I now have hip, legs, shoulder, and neck pain. The doctors consider it a success because all they talk about is how I have no sharp shooting pains now. But over all I have more pain and we all know when it’s cold that metal just rings in your back. But enough rant to the point about degrading the spine I got ordered to do a cat scan and now mysteriously I have 1 fused disk and 3 bulging disc. So I have more bulging disc and over all pain. Was it a success it my doctors eyes yes to me hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck get yourself an attorney never deal with WC they are there to take you for the ride.

I agree with nonfusion. Inever had another buldge disk at th l4 level, Now I do, the fusion helps temp but the rest of your spine suffers. Ihave been haveing alot of pain on my upper left chest area and in the back. Just curious Maybe i have another buldge in a disk between the shoulder blades.

Nursedina stated the best what to expect and why when you consider or have had a fusion surgery. Remember, everyones injury is different as is recovery as different variables are present that will effect recovery but one thing for sure is that a fusion surgery will result in more surgery because of the stress on another disc. I needed major stabilization thus, I didn't have a choice even though conservative messieurs were attempted they only worsened my back. I'm post op a level four lumbar fusion and have been stabilized but my pain has recently increased and it appears that I may need further surgery on a disc above the fusion site. Someone mentioned about pain in the chest area on their left side, it could involve the thoracic spinal area and should be checked. In retrospect, I have no regrets for having the surgery but only wish it could of been done earlier instead of having to go through the mandatory workers compensation conservative route of injections/pt ect., especially when it was apparent that none of this could benefit me from the onset of the injury. Sometimes the almighty dollar is more important that COMMON SENSE involving the WC insurance companies. I wonder if a member of their family was involved if they would be treated the same?

Q-man -

That was a question I always asked my surgeons - IF I was their Wife, child, sister, etc...would they do the surgery? I didn;t have a choice with my fusions. It was a matter of have the surgery or not be able to walk anymore because of the instability of my spine, but we still did conservative measures first.

I hear so many people talking about the surgery as if it will "fix" them. It's a sad realization when you realize that you will never be the same. I just had a talk with my pain mgmt doctor yesterday. We went over my goals again. Two years ago my goals were to get back to work as an ER nurse and be recovered. Yesterday I reset my goals to be as pain free as much as I can, and to be able to clean and keep my house and live my life as much as I can. After 2 1/2 years, I have come to the realization that I will never be the same. My pain mgmt doctor said it best. He said to make peace with my body and my pain because it is my best friend now and will be there for the rest of my life.

Good luck to all

ery well stated, and it is so terribly true.
    To think back on what I did for a living now knowing that I couldn't do a tenth of my job any longer is frightening but real.
    I've instructed my wife to make sure our children are out of the house in case it caught fire and if she wasn't able to get me to leave me and instruct the fire personnel where I was last at, and that is the real fact of my life at this point. I actually pointed this out at a WC hearing to an attorney who was questioning whether my injuries were as sever as they are stated in the doctor's reports, and after I told him about being left inside a burning home if that woke him up to the real injuries I sustained and how I can no longer function as a normal man my age, and if he wanted to change lives with me? Needless to say his temperament changed along with any further questioning!