Indiana Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Indiana Workers

• Indiana Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Indiana Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Recovering from Shoulder Injury and Surgery

I was injured back in early Jan. of this year. I suffered a shoulder dislocation that required surgery. On May 12th I got my "PPI" rating from my treating physician. He first told me that I had no impairment, without taking ANY measurements of my range of motion. I was baffled by this and showed him my very limited range of motion. He then tells me that the most he can give me is 3% for external rotation. Again, without taking any measurements.

So, I call another Ortho's office and set up an appointment for a 2nd opinion. The new doctor took an extensive range of motion and came up with 11% of my shoulder, 7% body. Now, my question is with the lack of the original doc's "thoroughness" and basically guessing at a ppi rating (going from 0 - 3%), without so much as even moving my arm, and the extent of the 2nd opinions... I'm sure the ins. co. is going to want to compromise somewhere in the middle, if even accept the 2nd opinion at all. Do I have a good case if it comes to taking it in front of a judge? And if so, how long would it take to be seen? Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Recovering from Shoulder Injury and Surgery

Wow, thanks for all the help.

Quote Quoting FastBlackDak View Post
    I was injured back in early Jan. of this year. I suffered a shoulder dislocation that required surgery. On May 12th I got my "PPI" rating from my treating physician. He first told me that I had no impairment, without taking ANY measurements of my range of motion. I was baffled by this and showed him my very limited range of motion. He then tells me that the most he can give me is 3% for external rotation. Again, without taking any measurements.

So, I call another Ortho's office and set up an appointment for a 2nd opinion. The new doctor took an extensive range of motion and came up with 11% of my shoulder, 7% body. Now, my question is with the lack of the original doc's "thoroughness" and basically guessing at a ppi rating (going from 0 - 3%), without so much as even moving my arm, and the extent of the 2nd opinions... I'm sure the ins. co. is going to want to compromise somewhere in the middle, if even accept the 2nd opinion at all. Do I have a good case if it comes to taking it in front of a judge? And if so, how long would it take to be seen? Thanks for any help!
    Most likely the hearing member will give greater weight to the doctor that actually performs an exam before arriving at your PPI rating. I wouldn't compromise the 2 ratings with the insurance adjustor. Feel free to call me if you have any further questions. Matt

www.indianaworkers.com

I had also sustained a shoulder injury at work.I was a Flight Attendant and was pulling my luggage down the aisle of the plane when my bag got clipped on the arm of a passenger seat, ripping my shoulder out. I ended up having a torn Labrum Tendon and Bicep Tendon that had to be repaired. This resulted in a long recovery and 3 months of PT, twice a week.
    I had been impressed with the ortho doc that the company assigned to me, being that he was kind and seemed to know his business. Well, in the end, Nov. 30, I went for my doctor visit and this is where he did his "evaluation" and assessment on my range of motion, etc. He said this is as good as it's going to get.....I was shocked because I didn't have full range of motion. I still cannot take my arm around to my back, like to zip a dress, fasten a bra, etc. I cannot reach out my arm straight and lift any type of weight, nor to the side. He also said at this final assessement that my shoulder may freeze up on me where I may need to seek more PT. He also said that with this being my left shoulder and I am left handed, he would rate me higher.
    FINALLY,after 2 months, I got a call from the company that handles workers comp for my company. The doctor gave me a 4% for the upper left arm!! Also, they stated to me that after signing for this $2800.00 final lump sum payment, I will only have 2 years to use this claim if my shoulder should freeze up, etc.
    I have denied the settlement and am in the process of getting a second opinion. I was told from Indiana Workers Compensation office that with a second opinion, they would take their score, take the first score, add them together and then divide in half? First off, I think that the first rating of 4% is un-heard of! This has caused alot of alterations as to what I do. I am no longer able to play tennis or get another job as a Flight Attendant because the requirements is that I am able to lift a min. of 50lbs. I retired on Sept 1 but my injuries were in June.
    Thanks for anyone that can help me! I feel that I should be getting AT LEAST 10% knowing what my future of this injury will leave me with.

Does not sound like your surgeon did such a good job or the PT was not done aggressive enough. Work with a guy who tore all of the tendons in his shoulder and he is lifting 100 pounds or better several times a day, and doing physical work all day long 5 to 6 day a week. Here is an idea to help yourself to gain better mobility. There are shoulder exercises that you did in PT continue to do them at home once a day at least, also look on line for rotor cuff strengthening exercises and you may find that they were not doing as much PT as they could have been doing. I do my PT once a week even though I really do not need to, it just helps break up any potential scar tissue. If you keep doing the exercises you will find you will get better, and with luck will not have a freeze up.

Toninwa, although Pupplepuppy & I are both female, was doing pretty much heavy manual labor, and had somewhat similar shoulder injuries, (as best my memory serves me), she and I have had very different outcomes. She has been blessed with a near 100% recovery where I am now on permanent total disability/SSDI.
    The shoulder injury was what many would say was the straw that broke the camels back for me as I have several other serious medical conditions. In the end my orthopedic doc gave me a 28% upper extremity PPD rating, as did the IME that I was sent to. The IC did NOT contest the rating. I have a 10 pound lifting limit and NO above shoulder activities. As well I can NOT get my hand behind my back without extreme pain along with several other positions that cause an increase in the pain. Also I had to have a second revisionary surgery, and I don't believe Purplepuppy did.
    After the second surgery my PT was advanced and the therapist got WAY too aggressive WAY too soon and my repairs were re-torn. Leaving me with the option of living with it or under going yet another surgery, with absolutely not only no guarantee, but little likely hood of improvement, (NOT anything unusual with medical science as there are NO certainties/guarantees with any medical procedures). My only other option is as my age advances and the likely hood that my soft tissues will continue to deteriorate is a complete shoulder replacement. From what my docs have told me there is a very high chance that is exactly what I am facing down the road. In the mean time I continue to do "reasonable" physical therapy at home on a daily basis and I am in pain management for an indefinite period of time. Most likely the rest of my life.
    Toninwa, the idea that you was only given a 4% PPD rating, with your limitations, certainly is shocking at best. Especially given it is your dominate arm and mine was to my non-dominate arm. If I were you I would definitely contest that rating as you said you plan to.
    Good Luck to you.
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.

I agree, that is doesn't seem right to average the numbers out based on what seems like a negligent evaluation and a proper evaluation. Is there a possibility of getting a third evaluation and throwing the low one out? Do you have an attorney that could help you throw out the first evaluation?
    Jennifer - Can anyone recommend a good Indianapolis personal injury attorney for my friend?