California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Elbow Pain 5 Months After Shoulder Surgery

Five months a go I had work related right shoulder surgery . I have been going to get the therapy twice a week. My physical therapist says we're going to increase the weight. Up to 20 pounds on Friday while at physical therapy my right elbow was starting to be in pain when I left I did not say anything because I thought it was just soreness anyway all weekend long elbow has been killing me . Anytime I open the door, squeezed toothpaste or shampoo, or make a fist my elbow in a lot of pain .

I don't understand I had shoulder surgery and that is doing okay from my wrist to my elbow is now killing me is this somehow related to my shoulder surgery. Who would treat that. Is that related to the shoulder surgery. Or is that something I would have to pay out of pocket for.
    Last edited by budman; 06-14-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Default Re: Elbow Pain 5 Months After Shoulder Surgery

Go back to your PTP, explain your symptoms and s/he will address your concerns.
    Whether or not it's a compensable consequence to the orginial injury is a medical determination.

Thanks for you reply

My left shoulder was part of my injuries....4 other body parts...had decompression surgery and a 2 inch tear repaired....first PT the girl yanked so hard we both heard something tear....I continued PT , nothing was ever done about it...I was told it's normal....Had multiple shots after that and PT for almost 2 years......6 months after surgery my shoulder froze....which the surgeon told me should happen within weeks not months....It's now 3 years and I still don't have full use of my arm or hand.....the one thing I don't have is elbow pain but do know many shoulder people who do.....take it to the PT and surgeon...one or both should be able to help.....I settled and am still looking for answers as to what to do with an arm that hurts 24/7.......no amount of meds removes the pain even for a time.......my most recent MRI shows a messed up labrum (anterior and posterior) and another cuff tear.....sorry I went on...and never did answer your question.....
    I have learned from the best....hence the name grasshopper

I settled and am still looking for answers as to what to do with an arm that hurts 24/7......
    Your problem is you ''settled''. If your reinjury happened at work, you should file a new claim. Otherwise, you're on your own. Unless your settlement was a Stipulation w/Request for Award, or a F&AO, Finding w/Award & Order from a judge including FMC/Future Medical Care.

my most recent MRI shows a messed up labrum (anterior and posterior) and another cuff tear.....
    And who is paying for the MRI/future medical care ?

When background information trickles out in multiple posts, the answers have a tendency to change. You may or may not be covered for your present complaints under the WC claim benefits. If you C&R'd the claim...took a lump sum cash payment... you should be paying out of your pocket for any treatment to your claimed injured body parts.

thank you...did have a C & R.......settled with no medical....employer was self insured ......I honestly saw no other shoice or I would have lost everything....saw multiple Dr.s and had one of the best WC attorney's around not to mention Dr.s with major credibility.......I have been told the shoulder is beyond repair....by 3 Dr.s ....... I have some half decent days but for the most part I know the shoulder is there......I wouldn't have another surgery anyway.....just maybe looking for a med that might ease the pain a little on really bad days.....I can do steroid injections which help BUT I am a diabetic and don't like to go there.....I guess I should have said I was just looking for maybe some suggestions....not legal....pain relief....
    I have learned from the best....hence the name grasshopper

C&R... you're on your own for treatment to this injury.
    I'm curious why there was NO FMC in the settlement... for your injury, as you describe... that would be unusual.

I am going to my Dr. on Monday My mind is playing games with me.

If I my shoulder takes longer to heal than normal . Dose that make the Dr. Look bad. Or if i get re injured when I am almost ready to go back to work dose that make the P/T look bad.

If my Dr. returns me to work. an I am not offerd work an let go. then my shoulder of elbow is in a lot of pain.

Would I call the C/A approval to go back to PTP. Or would I call PTP an set up apointment.

Or if I still have medical insurance should I use that.

If a Dr. dose shoulder surgery an elbow if differnt can I go to him with my private insurance.. elbow same arm as claim.

If my Dr. returns my to work an my E.E dose not accept me back an lays me off.

Then a month later I have pain. Will the Dr. still see me ?

Do I contac C/A 1st or Dr.

Looks like your thread was a bit hijacked...

What happened Monday at your PTP appt. ?

As to RTW/return to work issues.
    Once you are MMI, your ER has 60 days to make a decision to bring you back to work. Whether that is pre injury job, or another modified/alternate job within any restrictions you may have will determine any additional benefits you may be eligible for.

The medical is open based on necessity until you cash out by lump sum, or die. Basically.
    If my Dr. returns me to work. an I am not offerd work an let go. then my shoulder of elbow is in a lot of pain.
    Would I call the C/A approval to go back to PTP. Or would I call PTP an set up apointment. Call the PTP and get an appt.
    Or if I still have medical insurance should I use that. No, you don't use your personal health coverage. They won't pay.
    If a Dr. dose shoulder surgery an elbow if differnt can I go to him with my private insurance.. elbow same arm as claim. Huh? You use the WC medical for your claimed body part, or compensable consequence to the org injury until you cash out the claim, ...
    Looks like you are sitting thinking of worst case scenarios... try not to do that, just deal with what happens as it happens. You'll make yourself crazy...more so.