South Carolina Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured South Carolina Workers

• South Carolina Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• South Carolina Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Can I Fire My Worker's Comp Lawyer

I have several questions.

Can I fire my attorney. what fees would be due. Have not even negotiated settlement yet.

Attorney rated as one of the best. but seems very complacent.
    Keeps telling us to use our group health care for future medical for possible future surgeries, med, etc.. Received 80% on cervical spine, 28 % whole body. IME states 100% totally disable due to restrictions, age, and ability to retrain. Voc eval supports this.. Attorney ordered these but says that commissioner will not use them in his determination. Why were they ordered?

Default Re: Confusion

yes you can switch attys at any time. you will owe for services to date of termination; the fee will be shared with any other atty.

Default Re: Confusion

Attorney rated as one of the best. but seems very complacent.
    Keeps telling us to use our group health care for future medical for possible future surgeries, med, etc..
    If you close the medical coverage in the claim, and accept a cash payment for future medical care/FMC, then knowlingly allow another party to pay for treatment to your injuyr, it would be double dipping, and possibly viewed as an attempt to defraud the IC... your atty knows this...ask for his malpractice insurance carrier.
    Your ER is liable for treatment to your injury, for life or the SOL/statue of limitations in the WC act. You take the cash, you become responsible for treatment costs. Your own health care provider will just deny the bills. Keep in mind when it comes time to close the claim... FCM paid by the IW is at 'usual and customary' fee schedule. We are not privy to the contracted fees ER/IC enjoy.... big difference.
    There really isn't much any atty can do in a comp claim until there are delays/denials to your benefits. Having an atty provides in impartial party to negotiate without emotion any disputed issues in your claim. If there is no reason for any hearings...the atty has little to do.