California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Different Pain After Fusion

Hello all again. Had fusion 7-8-2010 C5-C6 with plate and from my understanding nerve damage in C6 was extensive. Surgery was suspose to be between 1 1/2 to 2 hours actual surgery time was 4 hours due to the damage that the doctor repaired. My question is that most of my nerve pain was located on right side of neck and arm down to fingers. That pain is almost completely gone. Some pain but only 20%. Pain that I have now that I have never had is in left arm both shoulder blades and left side of neck. I go see doctor for follow up tomorrow and ofcourse will inform him but thought if somebody else had similar symptoms to mine they might have idea to what the cause of pain is. I also use bone stimulater once a day and use ice twice a day. Thanks for any imput a in advance.

Default Re: Different Pain After Fusion

Everyone would respond differently to a procedure such as yours...my last surgery was suppose to be about 6 hours... 13.5 later I was in ICU/recovery.

You are only 12 days or so post op. It would be a bit early to tell just what you should expect. Pain relief is a ''hoped'' for response to any surgery such as yours...but bigger expectation is that there be no further damage done. Pain is apt to linger for some time... in a few months or so, you would request a referral to a pain management clinic.

It won't be long before your PTP declares you MMI, even though you may not have fully recovered from the surgery. MMI only means your condition is stable, and not expected to change better/worse in the next 12 months or so.
    You will also be rated for PD/WPI at that time...

Default Re: Different Pain After Fusion

Quote Quoting gvdina View Post
    Hello all again. Had fusion 7-8-2010 C5-C6 with plate and from my understanding nerve damage in C6 was extensive. Surgery was suspose to be between 1 1/2 to 2 hours actual surgery time was 4 hours due to the damage that the doctor repaired. My question is that most of my nerve pain was located on right side of neck and arm down to fingers. That pain is almost completely gone. Some pain but only 20%. Pain that I have now that I have never had is in left arm both shoulder blades and left side of neck. I go see doctor for follow up tomorrow and ofcourse will inform him but thought if somebody else had similar symptoms to mine they might have idea to what the cause of pain is. I also use bone stimulater once a day and use ice twice a day. Thanks for any imput a in advance.
    Hello, I had the same surgery. The comment my Dr. made when he was done was that I made the right decision to have the surgery. All he said was that when he got in there it was a mess. I'm not exactly sure what he meant now that I think about it but I was 55 yrs old at the time. I had the surgery in Sept. of 2008. My injury was from repetitive motion. He also saw a bone spur in the mri pushing against my spinal cord. One year later I had to have the plate removed because it was causing difficulty swallowing. Over these last few years I have gradually experienced Headaches and shuolder pain in both shoulders. The last mri I had in Jan. 2010 the ame saw degeneration in both shoulders and could not tell if the spur is sharp enough to cause anything. I am now experiencing severe headaches and increasing pain in both shoulders. I don't know what the details of your injury are. I can only give you the results of what happened to me. However I would like to prewarn you if you have the plate removed I am curious to know if you get cheated out of your TTD benefits like I did. The date of my first surgery, I received benefits for about 6 or 7 months. A year later when I had the plate removed the IC was legally able to use the date of my first surgery as start date for TTD benefits determining that I had used up all of my 2 years TTD benefit after just about 3 months of my second surgery. This calculates to one whole year of TTD that I was unable to receive according to them I lost that year of TTD because I didn't remove the plate for one year. I don't see how they can do that if I took the plate out any sooner, it would not allow time to fuse. I want to post this on a seperate thread to see if that is legal.I hope this does not happen to you. Good Luck Troller