Question Letter from Department of Labor

I received a letter from Department Of Labor and they are asking me to fill out some forms. One of the forms I have to take to my Dr. and he has to fill out and send in himself. Another part of letter wants me to list any wages from a job from January of 2007 to December of 2009. They also are asking me if I have received any SSDI or any kind of disability.
    I am currently on monthly benefits from FECA, work comp, and have been since 11/19/2009. My work comp injury was a fractured T12. Doctor released me to work with a 20 lb lifting restriction. Had a discogram (separate from work comp),for lower back in May ,showing 2 ruptured disc in lower back. Had fusion surgery 3 weeks ago. No way I can do any work right now. Private insurance paid for surgery. Last week Vocational Rehab. Counselor came out and interviewed me for possible training in different area since I cannot go back to my former job because of lifting restrictions. My question is, what is the purpose of them sending me this letter? Does every one get one? The only time I have worked between those dates are with the same government job. I will fill it out because they said they will cut my payments if I don't. Thanks for any advice. My current Neurosurgeon said that the pain I had been having with the lower back could have been associated with the T12, but I don't know how involved he wants to get with it.

Default Re: Letter from Department of Labor

You'd have to think this is standard in a WC claim...or they wouldn't print and assign a 'form #"... not just for your claim.

Have you discussed this with the CA?
    That's the person who would know why you are being asked to reply to this request for information. They are getting infomation necessary to adjust your claim...what benefits may be due, what may be possible for a C&R settlement...could be any number of reasons.

Again, "thank you" BvIA. I have nothing to hide, but I couldn't figure out why they were asking me what my income was in 2007 to 2009, when I know they have all that info. I'll get it all sent in and be patient.

Trust me, the government wants to make sure you don't double dip very much. I am on SS Disability. I haven't gotten a dime of FECA compensation (thanks to the VA fighting me on it). I did get medical retirement from the VA though and now draw my retirement annuity. When I do get a scheduled award from FECA on my accepted claims (to cover whatever # weeks my claims are accepted for), if it exceeds 80% of my weekly pay I was getting when working, I will have to pay SS back the amount that is over. There are formulas they use for everything. Let's face it, the government screw us over every chance they get.

For example: I was drawing my full medical retirement amount, when I had to quit work. (60% of my high three years salary) I then was approved for Social Security Disability and starte getting that. I knew I couldn't draw the full amount on both and would have to pay some back. I didn't get any WC compensation, other than my medical bills and reimbursement on medical travel. It took over a year for OPM (VA medical Retirement people) to figure out my exact annuity amount. When they did, they decided I had been overpaid nearly $13,000. Well, I knew that was wrong. I had set aside money to pay OPM back. I had to finally go through Senator Coburn's office to investigate the matter. When all was said and done, I only owed $4400.

I thought when I get my scheduled award from OWCP, I get to keep it. I also got a letter from SS recently and went in to the office. They explained that if my total monthly payment from SS and my weekly award is over a certain amount, I will have to repay SS. I can assure you, I will have to pay them back. I believe what SS does is take it out of future payments. It has been very trying dealing with OPM, SS and WC. A nightmare actually. Good luckd!

That form is a common form for those of us who have been on the rolls of OWCP for awhile. Just simply fill out the questions with N/A or whatever it calls for.

It's required once a year. I usually get mine sometimes around my birthday for some reason.

One other point...When you had your surgery through your private insurance; how come that physician can't write a letter stating that there is a causal relationship between your work injury and this one? It seems to me that the original injury was only diagnosed at first and through your efforts you discoverd further injury from the work problem. Look into it and get this injury accepted by workers compensation and then get your private insurance reimbursed plus any expenses you were out of pocket for. i.e. mileage, monies....etc.

Post Re: Letter from Department of Labor

That's a little easier said than done, because it's with the Department Of Labor. I did recently (3 days ago) have both my back surgeon and my primary doctor write and send to DOL the letter from the "causal" relation to my first injury. The fact that I still cannot walk without allot of pain is just one thing they listed.My Dr. did send a letter with this information a couple of months ago and DOL rejected it because there wasn't enough information.