Hey guys. I'm a newbie here and a newbie to injury as well
I'm trying to figure out the steps I should take.
I had my car accident in April. My employer never sent me a claim form and I haven't filled one out yet (I moved to Ohio to stay w/ my sis while getting rehab and figuring out my situation).
My employer sent me a form last month saying: we'll give u 1800 dollars -- fill out this form so we won't be liable. My injuries are pretty bad and this is nowhere near the $$ it will cost me.
So here are the steps I'm taking right now.
1. Fill out a claim form and send it to my employer and insurance company
2. Fill out an adjudication of claim & send it to employer and court (the worker's comp office said to do this just to get myself in the system and in case I have to go to court later on-- it looks like my employer is going to cause me trouble). Plus they said this shows I'm serious about the claim.
So here are my questions (if anyone can help )
1. Do these steps make sense ? Are there other steps I need to take ?
2. Do u think I'm going to have problems bcs my late filing of my claim?
3. When do I send them info about medical costs ? And when should I send the P&S report ? Should I send a letter saying "the 1800 can't cover my costs. These are my costs and this is what I want you to pay." If so, when should I send it ?
Any advice would be much appreciated ? Thank in advance
One more question: When do you usually begin settlement negotiations? I've noticed a lot of sample letters online to send to employers proposing a settlement amount. Should I send the claim form and wait ? Or should I send a letter right away ?