Arkansas Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Arkansas Workers

• Arkansas Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Arkansas Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Lost Sight in One Eye

I am a state employee who recently lost an eye in a workplace accident. I am trying to resume my work, but the agency does not seem willing to do much in the way of accommodation. I still suffer from severe headaches and there doesn't seem to be a week that goes by that I don't have to go to a doctor. I've never faced this sort of thing before and don't really know what I should expect from the State in the way of accommodation or compensation. I've had to use all my sick leave and annual leave for the doctor's visits. Any insight anyone has will be much appreciated.

Default Re: Lost Sight in One Eye

You must have wage loss for 14 days to be paid full TTD...
    Payment for Lost Wages

If you have to miss work because of a work-related injury or illness, you may be eligible to receive some cash benefits (indemnity benefits). The waiting period for these benefits is seven (7) calendar days and must be at the direction of your approved doctor.

These payments can help you through the period of time you are disabled from your workplace injury or illness. Your coverage begins on the eighth day of partial or total disability. You will be paid for the first seven (7) days only if you are disabled for more than fourteen (14) days. These days do not have to be continuous calendar days.
    If you have lost more than 8 to 14 you should contact the ER/IC for how to collect the TTD due, and/or reinstate the vacation/sick leave you have used. Naturally, a Dr must certify the days you are eligible for TTD.
    I am trying to resume my work, but the agency does not seem willing to do much in the way of accommodation.
    You may have some protection/action under ADA/EEOC rules... if you have a qualifying disability, the ER must make the attempt at reasonable accomodation or show a financial hardship for not doing so.

Your best bet at this point is to consult a competant attorney handling WC/injury claims.
    More info on WC in Arkansas. is here http://www.awcc.state.ar.us/employeebasicfacts.html

Thanks for the info....
    I recieved the disability payments for the time I was off, but have to take leave or sometimes leave without pay for follow up doctor visits. There's been no effort at this point for a settlement for the loss of the eye. Now it looks they they are going to require me to start taking call again even though I cannot drive at night.
    Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems that management is trying to make things so difficult that I will just resign. The problem is that I still have so many severe headaches and side effects from the medicines that I doubt I can hold another job if I did resign. I'm beginning to think I came back to work too soon, but felt the sooner I went back to work the sooner I could adapt to having one eye. Now I'm not sure what to do.

Go back to your Dr and request your restrictions, in writing. Or, be returned to a TTD status.

Discuss your claim with an attorney. That's were you find what your options are. And, that's were ''legal'' advice should come from.