Illinois Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Illinois Workers

• Illinois Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Illinois Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Partial Loss of Middle Finger on Left Hand

Hello. Can anyone tell me what kind of settlement to expect from WC. I cut off part of my middle finger on my left hand at work. I was sawing material and while moving the bar forward. The bar was grabbed by the saw and spun. Resulting in pulling my finger into the saw blade. I loss my finger down to the first knuckle. My employer says they are going to make everything right with me. I just would like to have some kind of idea on how much of a settlement to expect for my loss. The WC adjuster just told me that I would get a settlement and she dodged the question when I asked her how it was based or calculated. She made it sound as though they would just send me a check and that was all I would get. No discussion or anything. Please help me be aware. Thank you.

Default Re: Partial Loss of Middle Finger on Left Hand

That finger is worth a max of 38 weeks of compensation. Not sure where your amputation occurred but if it's anywhere between the tip and the first joint closest to the tip, you get 1/2, or 19 weeks. If it's anywhere below that first joint closest to the tip, you get the full amount of 38 weeks. A week is computed by taking 60% of your average weekly wage (up to a max of $664.72). So, for example, if you make $1000 per week, you will get either 19 or 38 weeks x $600. If you have lost some use of your hand as a result, or if you have restrictions, the case could be worth more and you should get an attorney.
    Christopher Freeman, Esq.
    Representing injured workers throughout Chicagoland and the State of Illinois
    http://www.attorney-freeman.com

It was lost right about the first knuckle from the tip. I then had to have surgery to clean it up by which I mean they may have had to grind down the bone some. surgically peel some skin and pull over the tip and stitch up. My company says that they are going to take care of me. I guess I am not sure whether I should get an attorney or not. Why is the max amount $664.72 if it isn't two thirds of my pay? Does that also include if you have dependents at home? Just looking for answers. Thank you very much. I am also wondering how much time a person is allowed for healing before returning to work?

Not sure why they have a max amount, but it only applies to permanent partial disability pay. Your temporary total disability pay is not subject to the same max. The number of dependents is only relevant if you're a very low-paid or part-time employee--a minimum rater. There is no set period that is allowed to be off of work--it's up to your doctor. I've had amputation cases where the employee didn't miss more than a day. Just depends on the circumstances. If you have any doubt about whether to hire an attorney, you're probably better off hiring one. It's really about peace of mind.

So I am looking at 2/3 of my weekly pay for anywhere from 19 - 38 weeks for a settlement for the partial loss of my digit. Is that correct? But that doesn't include my weekly pay for being off of work? Is there anything else or is everything really just cut and dried? No pun intended. Is the settlement done quickly? I was contacted by the WC adjuster right after the accident and she told me that as soon as they examined the surgeons statements and the emergency room physicians statements that they paid you for your loss of finger upfront and then continued with any doctors appointments. I guess I wasn't sure if that meant they paid you right away or if it took a while. I also tried to get her to tell me if there was a figure to go by and she beat around the question on me telling me it all depends on how much of the finger was lost and it went by pay but was never told if it went by so many weeks of pay or what? I really appreciate all of your information. Thank you again.
    Last edited by gsxr12000; 09-07-2010 at 01:23 PM.

The value of most cases is fluid, meaning that it's determined by certain factors and depends on how similar cases have been valued in the past. Usually you estimate a range. The law addresses amputation cases differently. Amputation cases are assigned specific, exact amounts depending on the body part and where the amputation occurs. So the case is either worth a minimum of exactly 19 or exactly 38 weeks depending. However, if you have additional restrictions or problems with the use of your hand, you may be entitled to additional compensation based on that, depending on the circumstances. This would be in addition to the statutory amputation award.

Hello again. I was told today by the WC adjuster that where my finger loss is rates it at 50%. She said at that it would be 13.5 weeks at 60% of my pay. I guess I am confused because on here I was told it was either 19 or 38 weeks but now she says 13.5. Can you help me with this? I really need to understand so that I dont get taken or treated unfairly. Thank you in advance.

Welcome gsxr12000

Yes, your middle finger(2nd finger) is worth 19 weeks, from the tip of finger to first knuckle.. If you are not represented by an attorney, you can contact the Illinois Work Comp Commission. Here is the site and you can also click on for your handbook on the left side of page. You will find the body parts schedule there.
    http://www.iwcc.il.gov

She is using the ring finger, which is worth a max of 27 weeks (probably purposely). And shovelhead is correct, all of this is on the IWCC website.

Thank you all so much. After I confronted her with her confusing it with the ring finger she apologized. I guess I will have to see if they are really going to watch out for me.