Maryland Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Maryland Workers

• Maryland Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Maryland Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Workers Comp Benefits After Retirement Due to Injury

I was told that W/C was getting ready to stop payments because I was now retired from due to the injury. Injury date was 10/21/08 forced to retired 11/1/09. Q -1 Can they do that?. Q-2 How many weeks am I entitled to from a heart injury. i.e Hypertension/Atrial Fibulation. Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Clarification

Not enough info.
    What is the status of your claim?
    You have been released from your Dr ?
    Have you been rated for PPD ?

Your retirement, whether 'forced' or voluntary would not generally be relative to the comp claim or payment of benefits. Seperate systems.

What are you claiming as a ''heart injury''...?
    The resulting impairment/partial or total disability rating would determine the number of weeks indemnity due.
    How long those are paid is statutory.
    Benefit payments for permanent partial disability continue for a period of weeks established by the statute; a period that varies according to the body part injured and the severity of the injury. For example, the total loss of a thumb or the use of the thumb results in payments for 100 weeks. The total loss or loss of use of the 4th finger (also called the little finger) results in payments for 25 weeks. When the period allowed by a Workers' Compensation Commission finding and prescribed by the law has run, the compensation payments cease.
    Benefits paid for permanent total disability are subject to an annual cost of living adjustment not to exceed 5% as determined by the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation. These benefits are reduced in the case of workers who are also entitled to Federal Social Security Disability Benefits to the extent necessary to avoid a diminution of the Federal benefits.
    You didn't say what kind of ''retirement'' benefits you have been awarded... there may be offset due to payment of those benefits.

Have you discussed these issues with your attorney ?

No I have not been released by my Dr yet, I still go every 3 weeks. No rating for PPD yet. My attorney said hypertension/a fib was a heart injury. What do you mean by resulting impairment. Also I was only awarded 30% of my salary from my retirement.

Impairment is the same as PPD/Permanent Partial Disability.
    My attorney said hypertension/a fib was a heart injury.
    May be a heart injury/condition. Doesn't mean its' due to your job function/duties.
    Psych/stress or CT/cumulative trauma may be the primary injury... heart conditions are not generally specific onset or work injury in themselves.

Your disability retirment is not the same or paid through the WC claim. Seperate benefits, and systems.

Listen to your atty. Responses here are not specific to your situation, regardless of the detail provided.