Florida Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Florida Workers

• Florida Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Florida Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Settlement Should You Get for a Back Injury

I am a 34yr old ironworker. In the past six months i under went two back surgeries to my lumber area. I am now almost done with my physical theraphy but my doc says i will never be a IronWorker again. Plus i will most likely need a fusion within the next ten years due to the fact i have little to no Disc left in my L/5 region. So my Question is what type of settlement should i shoot for ????? Can anyone give me some good advice pls ......

Default Re: Confused About My Back Injury Settlement

Thank u for responding ... Well with the fact that i wont be able to continue my trade and with my wc benefits being stopped can i expect to recieve sum kind of money plus medical care benefits... For my type of injury in most cases what % of MMI is usually given ??? Im really lost with all of this and hope my future doesnt look as bad as it seems right now thank you

Thanks Clark k

If the doctor is definitely saying that you cannot return to your past work then you may be eligible for retraining benefits (up to 52 weeks of your compensation rate) as long as you are in school to learn a new job. So you'll need to consider that. As for future medical, I'd look to get about $30k. Remember you aren't going to need that money for several years so make sure you hold on to it. Or don't settle at all and let the IC pick up the tab for all of your future medical. You don't have to settle.

Thx wcatty but i have read about people getting lump sum payments with the opition to leave medical open do u have any information about that and ur comments are greatly appreciated !

That's very rare in Florida these days. They usually just want to close everything at once. You can ask but don't be surprised if they won't do it.

You are entitled to lifetime medical care regardless of the % rating as long as the treatment is related to your accident and the statute of limitations has not run. It is rare in the State of Florida to settle without including the medical but it can be done. $30k would be low if the doctor has already told you a fusion will be needed. You can anticipate a 15 to 20% ppi rating.

A one level lumbar fusion is a 6-7% impairment. We can differ on value but keep us posted and let us know how the negotiations go.

Wow 6-7 % that seems really low... And yes my doc said that i will need a fusion in the future. His exact words were 10 yrs if im luckly but if i go back to ironworking he will be seeing me in no time! This is a very hard time for me and my family and sitting here in limbo is the worst feeling ever not know what the future holds.

WEll i was supposed to go to deposition on fri but the IC's att cancelled. So im having a mediation on the 15th and a confrence call with my att on fri to discuss settlement but i havent even reached mmi yet. I just finshed 12 sessions of PT and was told i still need antoher 12 sessions. Can anyone offer any advice pls