Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Travel Reimbursement

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: NY

How long does WC have to reimburse you for your travel expenses? I submitted one back in November and have not received payment yet. I thought maybe it got lost in mail so I sent 2nd copy a Month later and still have heard anything. They usually are really good but since I've received my PPD rate and MMI things have been moving at a snails pace.

Default Re: Travel Reimbursement

There should be a statutory time frame for payment of any reimbursement, or benefit ordered by a court.
    Anything you send to the ER/IC, or CA should be USPS, certified, return receipt requested. I know... that's about 8 to 12 dollars.. but you know for certain the document has been received, and you have evidence to pursue penalty for unreasonable delay.
    All IC's have mailrooms, all documents are opened there, and time/date stamped. Your other option is using a "proof of service".... a form, someone else fills out, certifies they have affixed adequate postage on the envelope, and deposited in the USPS mail. Allow 5 days for mailing, usually 30 working/business days for a check to be issued, and start dogging the CA.
    WC is a legal system, you use the legal avenues as provided.

Hey there BvIA

That is very good advice, I wish I would have employed the return receipt from USPS earlier in my process. I have had the Claims Adjuster in my case on 3 separate occasions say that he "did not receive" what I had sent. I too, am sending something into the CA and already had "forgotten" that I should employ this strategy for the next thing I mail to the CA/IC. Silly me was going to start with a fax, and then pop it into the mail. Thanks for the reminder.

Buttercup

Do you have an attorney? If so then send a copy of your milage shhet to them and inform them of your problem and they should be able to resolve the problem quickly.
    There is NO staturtory time limit for trael reimbursement UNLESS reimbursment has been ordered by a ALJ at a hearing. I know it isn't fair but that is the way it has been.
    Also, if you do not have an attorney and are sending material to the insurance company then follow BvIA's suggestions as this will provide a paper trail in case you ever need a hearing to resolve this matter. I needed an hearing as the IC was not paying for my travel reimbursement that lasted seven years and after the hearing mine was over four figures and they did not pay me in the prescribed time to which the ALJ fined them 30% of what they owed me on top of that!
    Always have a paper trail and save every piece of paper and document everything along with utilizing ecase.
    Good luck!!
    Knowledge is a beneficial tool for the injured worker!

If you go to the NY rules governing how the statutes are applied, I think you'll find a 'rule' on the timeframe a provider must be paid for services. That would also include mileage reimbursement to an IW.
    I think I said in another post, in Calif, the ER/IC has 45 working days to issue a check, after that there are penalties due. How much, depends on the facts surrounding the delay.

If there were no rule on paying providers/IW's, other than by court order, the ER/IC would be taking years to pay the Dr willing to treat industrial injury/illness. There wouldn't be many willing to wait any significant period of time.

I just received my check for miles I submitted thru my attorney 2 years ago. I kept asking about it but until we went to court nothing was done.
    Good luck,

Quote Quoting queenbee View Post
    I just received my check for miles I submitted thru my attorney 2 years ago. I kept asking about it but until we went to court nothing was done.
    Good luck,
    Usually how it happens! Just for your information, there is a New York only forum on this board which may be benifical for you in the future as the members there are aware of ways to point you in the directions you may need. Do you have ecase? if not go to the NY board and ask how to apply for it as either I or another forum member could assist you with thiat as ecase allows you access to your case file(s) via the internet and in my opinion is a valuable tool that benefits the injured worker!
    Glad you were finally re-imbursed.

Thanks for the replies. I contacted my Lawyer who in turn contacted the IC. They said that they never received it even though I sent it twice by mail and fax it over once. I then sent it certified mail with request for signature to make sure that they received it. Lawyer said give it some time and if you still don't receive the payment he will handle it.

Always use your attorney, that's why you retained their services!

Hey. first time finding this site and using it. Now I know where I will be a LOT. OK, How long do they have. You better believe they will take all of that ... and hope you die waiting. I just did my first submission for reimbursement for mileage here in NH. They have 30 days here. then you can appeal it if they don't respond. PROCESSES!! OMG! I came into this blind, now I feel like a Lawyer. Advise, check with your State, If you have a case manager, she should know how long. I FAX mine. buy a cheap $20 fax and plug it in, best way to go. YOU WILL BE WRITING THEM OFTEN. it gives you a hard copy to show as proof. It can't be lost in the mail! And you can FAX it twice a day!!OH, ya onc3e I got my permanency impairment rating, stuff went real slow. I have to fight for EVERYTHING I need. I have anew full time job!!! Great huh? Good luck E Ward