Michigan Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Michigan Workers

• Michigan Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Michigan Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Caregiver for Son in Michigan

This is my first post here and I must say there are a lot of people who are having a rough time with W/C! My son who is 22 was blown off a 2 story building while his crew was laying 82 foot long rolls of insulation and he landed on concrete to boot. He fractured 3 vertebrae L-1-L3 with L-3 a burst fracture (meaning exploded) Plus both heals were completely shattered. He now sports a cage which is the replacement for the L-3 along with rods from T-12 to L-4 PLUS both feet have had to be plated and multiple screws used to put them back together. The left one needed a bone graph because it was so mangled. A couple pics below to give you an idea.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dj8e9y&s=7

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9pq1pj&s=7

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24eopq1&s=7

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2r5x16q&s=7

It has now been just over a month and he is home with me now. He has a pain level of 0 and is on the Duragesic 25Mcg every three days.

The case manager has been so professional and efficient. The logistics were completed the day before he came home. Meaning an up to code handicap ramp built, a hospital bed and all the components which are involved when you can't put weight on your feet for 6 weeks. So I am his caregiver until then Also the day he came home his first reembursment check was in the mailbox too! We have no problem when she ASKED if she would be able to sit in during the doctor's appointment. I look at it this way, we have nothing to hide or nothing to say that she wouldn't be told anyway.

Remember, yes she is paid by the Insurance company, BUT she is there to make everything easy for you to get done or ask you if you need anything else. She is the one who told me to get the prescription for the caregiver! she is the one who set up the nurses who come to take his Pro-time to make sure his blood is thin enough she is the one who set up the PT and also OT therapists. So, I'm all for her helping me out.

That is a question I would like to ask, Anyone know what the going rate is for caregivers compensation? Thanks

Default Re: Caregiver for Son in Michigan

That is a question I would like to ask, Anyone know what the going rate is for caregivers compensation?
    Depends on your state fee schedule, or the usual/customary rate in your area, not nationwide.
    There may or may not be an issue here regarding your own status. If the ER/IC provided in home services through a licensed agency, with medically certified persons...there would be a different fee schedule.
    So, it too depends on what you are actually providing 'care' for.
    the nurses who come to take his Pro-time to make sure his blood is thin enough she is the one who set up the PT and also OT therapists.
    Based on that..you aren't the "caregiver", but the "homemaker" here. You aren't providing any medically necessary care.
    Your wage could be but state minimum.
    There should be an inhome evaluation done to determine exactly what services he requires, and how many hours per day.

Thanks for the reply! Of course I didn't want to write a book with the first post but the OT has only shown up once since he is able to transfer from chair to bed on his own and the PT therapist is now just on standby until the weight restrictions are lifted as well. Just looking at the script the doc wrote, I finally figured out what he wrote and it said Attendant Care. 6 Hrs a day for 6 weeks. See I change his dressings on his feet everyday also have to measure the Incisions once a week too. Along with the homemaker bit. Was a bit shocked seeing me labeled a homemaker. LOL And that is what I have been reduced too now

I guess my military years are still in there somewhere. I wouldn't change positions for anything by the way.

You are likely to see the CA/claims adj pay at the state minimum wage, unless you can show usual/customary for your geographic local as higher for what you are required to do.
    The Dr could help with that in a narrative report I would imagine. Where is the attorney in this?