South Dakota Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured South Dakota Workers

• South Dakota Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• South Dakota Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Moving and Workers Comp

my question is if getting workers comp temp check weekly can you move and will effect my checks? even if can perform light duty,but not at your place of employment.right now they have me placed at a volunteer place with my employer paying my wage's.but do to means beyond my control i have to move,because losing the house i live in now.not like just moving to move.also if true and can stop my weekly temp check can i still get medical treatment for my injury,i have not been released to full duty,just a modifed light duty.also moving effect me getting my mmi impairment rating and a final settlement.am just lost and confused. every attorney i contact seems not to want the case or claims a conflict of intrest.some one please help me understand and some advise or something. thanks so much for your time and sorry for typo error's.have a nice day all!!!!

Default Re: Moving and Workers Comp

other then going to the new address checks should not change.
    impairment ratings have to conform to your state's rules. a physician in another state is not likely to know those rules so you may have to travel for an examination.

you can get information from their website (including contact information):
    http://dlr.sd.gov/workerscomp/default.aspx

thank you but lawyer is telling me because they have found light duty work for even though it is not with my company it is thru a church program if i move they can cut of my temp check because am not following there rules for work. i have no choice but to move i can not afford to live here now that loosing the house,but i can not live without my weekly check either. have np traveling back for appt to get rating i will find away to do it? advise please

i don't know about your light work situation and can't answer as to what will happen with that in the future.
    you can contact your carrier or south dakota work comp at the link I gave you in the prior post and they may be able to get more details from you and explain what will happen to your temporary partial disability payments.

if you were given work restrictions by the doctor and take a job outside of those restrictions then yes they could stop your disability payments.
    you need to discuss the new job duties with your doctor and have them ok you to take the new job.
    the doctor needs to put their opinion on your new job in a report to the carrier.
    Last edited by SH.; 04-18-2011 at 08:53 PM.

I have a similar problem. I fell at work and messed my back up. I have had 1 surgery and now Doctor wants me to have a multi-level fusion. WCI is not responding to my lawyer or doctor as far as approving surgery. I have a very sick relative in another state, and I would have already moved had all this not been going on for over 2 yrs. I am very good at what I did and could have found a job very easily, but no way now. I have lost all my friends and contacts here, as most were work related and friends have moved away for jobs and the economy etc. If I have the surgery I will not be able to take care of myself for a few months. I did it after the first surgery, and you just have to have help with somethings, I have no one here anymore. Work will not allow me to work with restrictions, I have done all the WH and therapy. Now I just sit at home and collect TTD. I can't look for a job because I made way to much money to find anything close to what i was making, and my field lends itself to nothing else. I want so much to move back home and be around friends and relatives. It drives a person crazy to just sit all day, day after day. It cost so much money to go out and do anything and I am afraid to spend a dime, as who knows when I will be cut off. I wish I could move since they will not let me work, and be done with all of this, but I know I need the surgery, and I am at wits ends at times. Can I move and still collect TTD since they will not work me? And if they then say we want you to work, I guess I would have to be moved right back right? Is there nothing I can do, my Lawyer is telling me they are just playing the same old new person on the case games, how long can they do this?
    Last edited by ladyvol; 04-18-2011 at 09:01 PM.

thank you but lawyer is telling me because they have found light duty work for even though it is not with my company it is thru a church program if i move they can cut of my temp check because am not following there rules for work.
    Listen to your attorney.
    S/He knows the file, the laws and how your claim will be affected.

If you voluntarily remove yourself from the labor market, you could very well see those weekly checks stop. Your ER is not liaible to continue paying you if you move out of state. Nor is the IC required to continue paying wage loss when you refuse to cooperate with the comp system and requirements.

Medical access will continue, IF you can find a Dr out of state to agree to SD comp requirements.
    It is not a good idea to move out of state when you have treating a work injury and the claim has not been resolved.
    have np traveling back for appt to get rating i will find away to do it? advise please
    If you have to come back to SD for a medically necessary evaluation, or at the request of the ER/IC for an IME evaluation, they will pay reasonable travel costs. If you have to come back for a hearing...you pay.

LISTEN to your attorney.