Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Pennsylvania Workers

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Settlement(Mediation) Hearing Turns into a Deposition Hearing

Hello,

Back in december I went to court because my benefits were going to be modified. We talked it over and instead the plan was to settle my case.

Now it is april and still no word...

I just received a letter in the mail about a deposition meeting coming up in june.

I wasn't able to talk to my lawyer today. (Received my mail too late in the day)

What are some possible outcomes of this meeting? Are they trying to stop my benefits? can this meeting spark the settlement idea back up? What happens after this?

Any insight is much appreciated!

I'm at a loss

Default Re: Settlement(Mediation) Hearing Turns into a Deposition Hearing

I'm confused.
    what is a "deposition meeting"?
    are you going to meet with your lawyer to discuss an upcoming deposition? or are you going to be deposed.
    if you are going to be deposed, a deposition is not "a meeting"--you'll be asked questions under oath before a court reporter--there's no discussions.
    find out which it is.
    Last edited by SH.; 04-29-2011 at 08:48 PM.

It's the questions under oath...... just wondering what possible outcomes of a deposition could be

It just means the case is moving forward which would at least infer that at this point settlement negotiations have not been successful.
    Timothy D. Belt, Esquire
    Helping injured workers in Northeast Pennsylvania.
    belt-law@belt-law.com
    www.belt-law.com

DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality.

oh ok.... will this result in a modification or termination of benefits?

Quote Quoting dudefresh View Post
    It's the questions under oath...... just wondering what possible outcomes of a deposition could be
    Depositions are held to develop the record. The DA/Defense Atty will ask you questions about how the injury happened, your past medical history... what you can/can't do due to the claimed injury... do not answer "yes" ''no", "I never..."... with looking to your own atty first. Your atty has the ability to object to a line of questioning.
    Depos are just like testifying in a courtroom... with a court reporter, under oath.

Results of a depo...not much really. Doesn't do anything to settle a claim, or change your benefits. But the answers you do provided must be truthful...as they can be used later on to discredit you a trial.

No one can answer that question. Whatever petitions are currently pending are the petitions this is being used for. It is one piece of the puzzle and one of the things the judge will look at when he/she gets around to making the final decision along with the medical evidence and any other evidence presented.

Quote Quoting dudefresh View Post
    oh ok.... will this result in a modification or termination of benefits?
    Timothy D. Belt, Esquire
    Helping injured workers in Northeast Pennsylvania.
    belt-law@belt-law.com
    www.belt-law.com

DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality.

Thank you for your responses... I always just get stressed out about the whole process.. I'm currently in school to further my education ... I'm hoping all of this will be over in the near future...

Currently, they filed a petition to modify my benefits due to a vocational rehab assessment... Then we were going to just settle... Now this... so it seems like it's a very long process and a roller coaster ride haha