New York Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured New York Workers

• New York Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• New York Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Moving to Another State While on Worker's Comp

Hello all!

Just to introduce myself and give a little background:

I was injured at work 12/06/10 and have been a lurker here whenever I am in need of advice. Well, I find myself registering because I have a question that doesn't seem to be answered anywhere else.

I am a 25 year old guy who, since I was injured, had to move back in with his parents. Originally, the doctors though I might have injured my SI joint, but as I found out 2 months ago, I have three herniated discs in my lower back. I'm going in for another MRI shortly to see a spinal surgeon to hear my options.

My question:

Now, I have a problem. My parents have sold their house and my fiance and I have to find a new place to live. Which, is fine, we knew about this going in. My injury is the whole reason why we had to move in the first place. The problem I have is that we are moving to another state (MA) for her (and eventually mine as well) Grad school.

Can I transfer my worker's comp doctors to my new area? Can I even move without losing my comp? How would I go about doing this the right way, or do I have to move to MA with her and keep my address in NY at a family members house. My injury won't let me commute. I would really like to know, so I can get the ball rolling. I have to be in my new place by July 1st.

Thank you all for your time and whatever help you can give me.

Default Re: Moving to Another State

I read your other post first and replied.

I say def. speak with a Lawyer. Tell him all this. Whatever you do..do not ask the IC about this scenario. My dealings with IC is that they often want you to make decsions on things when they are holding a hammer to your head. This situation with your time limit may be a situation that falls under that.

I moved from NY to TN during my comp case. You can move wherever you'd like and you will still get your payments.

Obivously, notifying them of the change of address is of the utmost importance, and I'd send a letter to your attorney, comp board and insurance company with no other information except the date that your new address is in effect and to forward all checks and correspondence to that address.

Finding a doctor is going to be your new hassle. Well, it was here in TN. But...that's Tennessee....little more laid back and less progressive than NY! (I still love it here though

I found a much better response on the phone when I said "comp" instead of NY comp, then brought up the fact that's it's NY comp later. Your comp insurance agent will NOT call your doctor - it is up to your doctor's office or you to get the approvals you need. I had tons of offices say "we don't call the insurance company they have to call us" and NYS Insurance Fund would say "they have to contact us, we don't contact them" - and I didn't get that runaround in NY, everyone seemed to know what to do - but like I said, eventually I found a decent doctor. Personally, I think the small rural ones are more apt to work with you.

I did have a hearing where they officially approved care by a TN doctor and that it had to be at the TN pay rate. (Saves them money I'm sure!) No idea how that hearing came to be...but the judge just said anywhere in TN as long as it's on the TN payscale.

My court hearings are held by phone. 1/2 the time my attorney goes and I don't even have to be on the phone. Rather convenient actually.

You'll likely have a delay of checks, so be prepared for that!

Good luck to you!

P.S. I totally agree do NOT talk to the insurance company about anything! Moving is a red light for "send investigator let's see if he's lifting boxes.." They will totally steer you in any direction that is in their favor not to pay you or to have you stumble and make some administrative error...Make a very quick, smooth transition, with perhaps the letter going out advising them of your new address on the same day you're moving.
    Last edited by fivekitten; 05-26-2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: adding stuff

I concur with all the aforementioned answers but only want to add one thing, if you relocate to California and there is a workers compensation hearing (in NYS) that requires your attendance, you must attend and will not receive travel compensation. Insurance companies can insists on needless hearing and have a meeting adjourned for whatever reason to have it adjourned to another date and in some cases the insurance company will not allow you to see an IME out of state as they compensate an IME. Moving out of state is better suited for the injured worker who has settled their case.
    Knowledge is a beneficial tool for the injured worker!

We moved to Florida and I have to agree with JP56 with everything he posted was what happened to my wife, also as far as IME goes my wife had 3 of them and they were all done in Florida so dont worry about that either. We said we would fly back to NY for the IME but they didnt want to pay for the flight or hotel bill which her ATTORNEY said would be the only way she would go back to NY for the IME. It was hard to find a Dr to treat her here but just keep after them and it will happen, as far as your biweekly checks hers never missed a beat but she is on the direct deposit option so it wasnt a problem. Enjoy the new move it worked out great for us here in Florida.
    Tony
    I am here to support my Wife who was injuried on the job in 2004 and fighting the system.

I am also a PROUD New Yorker , born and Raised (had to add that) that was injured in New York and moved Out of State and having a Fairly Good NY lawyer, i didnt have to attend any hearings, at first it was hard finding a Doc to take on my NY Case, but once I found one ,things went well ,EXCEPT,he wasn't sending bills and up to date Medicals On time, In which it caused a Suspension of benefits ,Twice ,and after he knew what he had to do , he did it, good luck finding a Doc to take on your NY WC Case, every state does things Different.
    Last edited by Missree35; 06-08-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Miss injured 1

Thanks from everyone who responded. I am in a pickle in Texas, moved 300 miles from doctor and having a difficult time finding a doctor who will talk my WC it is 20 years old no help from IC or AA. Good luck.

Its a crap shot, those of you who have had success congrats, but, there are more horror stories than success stories, and I've learned that the successful injured workers who weren't messed with by the NYWC IC were the injured persons, whose injuries were so that no mater what the IC has to say, it wouldn't be worth the money spent to fight the move and this usually involves injured persons who have partially settled their cases.,
    speak with your attorney and take the move if possible! My condition allows me to move as the warm weather is beneficial for a part of my injury but, I'll wait a few years until our children are grown and then make the move as snowbirds.
    Knowledge is a beneficial tool for the injured worker!

Tony I am trying to contact you with some questions. I too moved to Fl from NY and need atty. can you get a hold of me here for some questions and How to's? Thanks in advance.

Don

Hey Don not sure if you are meaning me "TONY" since there is also someone else with that name, if you are talking about me drop me a message and I will contact you or if there is a way send me a PM. If it isnt me thats OK I forgive you. lololol
    I am here to support my Wife who was injuried on the job in 2004 and fighting the system.