Washington Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Washington Workers

• Washington Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Washington Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Vocational Counselor - How Does This Work

my cm just assigned me a voc counselor how does this work i know my job is saved for me but no guarantees anyhow, how does this work when i see one of these people funny how they need to look over my skills not much there but 15 yrs delivery with beer driving semis. thats all i've been doing. besides a little long haul. can they pay for my college to learn a different trade? How does this work with these people if anyone has experience with the voc counselor. thanks.

Default Re: Vocational Counselor {How Does This Work}

generally they review your medical and employment history as well as education and try to determine what modifications maybe needed. sometimes testing is needed to get a more precise level of your physical and employment abilities.
    they will work with your employer and doctor.
    while training and even education can be part of vocational rehabilitation they are looking to minimize the down time and use existing skills and experience to reduce the wage loss.
    college keeps you out of the job market too long and would only be last resort. one of the key issues counselors teach early on is to be realistic and practical about getting back to full employment.

more here
    http://www.lni.wa.gov/ClaimsIns/Clai...ms/Default.asp

Thanks i was just wandering because my work said there is no light duty or job modification to return to only when I'm completely healed then my position will be given back to me. This is what they sent in a letter to labor industry and also to myself stating there is no job modifications available being there are only 7 of us drivers on the farm. How can they work with my employer when they stated this to them and myself? Just wandering kind of confusing they will work with my employer when my employer wrote them and explained this to them.

your counselor should be familiar with the requirements of federal ADA law that requires a discussion about reasonable accommodation. If your former employer is not able then other employers maybe.

ok thankyou i just don't want yet another runaround by a voc counselor do they really help or they are just there for labor industries?

everyone's experience is different.

Last year, L&I assigned a vocational consulting firm and counselor to me. It started out fine, but the counselor was curious why she was assigned to a client that was still working.

A request for an ergo assessment was requested, the three Industrial Hygienists completed an ergo assessment and ordered the ergo equipment for me. The ergo report was sent to the vocational counselor and she ordered ergo equipment. I spoke with her and followed up with an e-mail, stating I already had the equipment, but she continued on. After a long heated discussion with L&I, employer, VC, and myself, the items were returned, as I stated that the ergo equipment would not work and nobody from the VC firm contacted me for the furniture I had in my office.

Next problem was a multi-page questionaire from the VC, my employer didn't fill it out to her satisfaction and asked me to. I looked at it and said it wasn't for me to answer. All he ll broke out again, the VC filled it out and sent it to L&I, with lots of incorrect info.

I then rescinded my authorization for the VC firm to access any of medication info and asked my doctor not to completed, which he was more than happy not to. She didn't have any authority to direct him anyways. After more discussions, the counselor was ordered by L&I not to have any further contact with me and closed her account relating to my claim.

Claims manager will assign a new VC if I go out on disability.

Very bad experience, very pushy.....