North Carolina Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured North Carolina Workers

• North Carolina Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• North Carolina Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Late Checks from Workers Comp

My WC comp checks have been coming late the last 2 months. the insurance company is still dragging their ass on approving my injections for my back. Vocational worker didn't show up for our last appointment, got letter from her stating she closed out my file?? and mediation is set for July 12. I am fed up. I think this is the insurance companies way of beating me down and hoping I will settle for pennie at mediation. I have had no problems up to this point, cant figure out what is going on. Emailed my attorney about what exactly he is doing for me?? If I wanted late checks, no injections and a vocational worker that doesn't show up, I could have done that myself! what exactly is my attorney supposed to be doing for me again??

Default Re: Late Checks

You are involved in what is called "litigation", you are demanding benefits/treatment, the ER/IC doesn't believe you are elilgible based on the medical evidence provided by Dr treating you...
    There is nothing your atty can do to get treatment, or checks quicker... when hearings or mediation are scheduled...your atty represents you, in a manner witout emotion, such as an IW may have in response to what you are dealing with.
    WC is not like PI/Personal Injury, or civil courts... there is no arguing your defense, or trying to brow beat another party.
    WC moves very slowly...just like other courts.
    You and your atty will handle this at the mediation... not far off...next week in fact.

You will get the injections approved but good luck on the late checks.Unless its 25 days late in new york state theirs nothing i can do about it here don't know if NC is the same.They do the same thing with every test my doctors order here also and i say doctors cause i have about 10 since being disabled in 2006.You lawyer should get any tests approved but like me the late checks will always continue,i guess they feel you'll break somehow even with a disability,the WC system is a joke.

We live paycheck to paycheck and the insurance company knows that, I was thinking they are trying to break me so I settle for peanuts at mediation.

i believe your right,they have very little consideration with what injured workers go through pain wise or financially.I was ruled total permanent by a WC judge at 100 % and believe me the ic has changed drastically.Late payments,inspector r us sitting across the street watching my house and bullying my neighbors and the sad thing is they appealed it so nothing changed in my favor yet.They have done absolutely nothing to try to get me back to work even though my doctors say i cant,the drag thier ass on everything and put the burden on you.Hang in there Susan its a tough road.

Thanks for replying. At this point I will just go to mediation with an open mind. I dont know why WC settlements dont include pain and sufferering lol

There is not much your attorney can do about those problems in the short term.

The insurance company is doing that stuff because they are expecting to settle your case at the mediation.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law