Maryland Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Maryland Workers

• Maryland Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Maryland Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Proving a Back Injury

Hi,

I work long shifts at work sitting all day in a chair. I believe I have gotten a herniated disc from this (its the only possible explanation for my injury... I haven't gotten into a car accident, play sports, etc...). Is there anyway to prove that the chair caused the disc herniation? I figured it is a long shot, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Default Re: Proving a Back Injury

you don't have to prove that it did, but you need a medical opinion that it did or aggravated it.
    if you have back problems discuss it with your doctor and if they support a work relationship then you can file a comp claim.

Okay, I have been seeing a doctor. I see him next week again, so I will discuss it then.

Thanks for your help

Quote Quoting .SH View Post
    you don't have to prove that it did, but you need a medical opinion that it did or aggravated it.
    if you have back problems discuss it with your doctor and if they support a work relationship then you can file a comp claim.
    This didn't happen instantly over night. Such as when people think about workers comp cases, like falling off a ladder and then going straight to your supervisor. This has been an on-going problem for approx 5 months. Will this matter?

Thanks

Could be CT/Cumulative Trauma... if MD allows for this type of injury/claim..
    There could also be DDD/Degenerative Disk Disease... about 80% of the working population will experience some degree of back pain/issues during their lifetime...
    That doesn't mean you dont' have a compensable claim...you don't have to prove you are injured, only that your injury is related/caused by your job function.
    I work long shifts at work sitting all day in a chair. I believe I have gotten a herniated disc from this (its the only possible explanation for my injury...
    You need medical opinion to support your claim... expect a denial on this one. You should also be prepared to litigate the claim.

What are the chances that this will hurt my career if I go forward with this? I love my job very much, and don't want to lose it, but I want to get help somehow if its responsible for this...

you know your employer better then anyone here.
    how have they reacted to claims from others?
    if your job is aggravating an underlying condition, do you really have a long term future in that occupation?
    can you and your employer modify your duties?
    can you move to a less stressful work situation?
    only you can answer these questions.

I work long shifts at work sitting all day in a chair. I believe I have gotten a herniated disc from this (its the only possible explanation for my injury... I haven't gotten into a car accident, play sports, etc...).
    Is there anyway to prove that the chair caused the disc herniation? Have you been to a/your own Dr for consult. or diagnostics?
    That's how you 'prove' up your claim ...through medical evidence. If you are diagnosed with a CT/Cumulative Trauma injury, that meets the AOE/COE standard... Arose Out of your Employment, and/or in the Course Of your Employment... you woud have a compensable claim.
    As said..you don't have to prove you are injured, only that you meet the AOE/COE test.
    You do this with opinion of treating physicians.
    Your own opinion... matters not.
    I realize I'm repeating myself here... do discuss this with your Dr... there could be underlying health issues you are not aware of at this point.