California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Education Voucher

I was declared MMI August 19 2011. According to what I understand about the voucher is that, if the IC does not provides me with modified work within 60 days of being P&S, they have to send me a voucher for re- education.

Is this correct? Or how does it work?

Default Re: Education Voucher

well I'm in the same situation, from what my wc has told me they pay it to the schooll, she's checking on the amount now somewhere in between 8 to 10 thousand, what was suprising is she's been a wc and has said not many people take up on this offer, well i know i am! good luck it looks like we are at the same dates my P&S was sent 2 weeks ago

Your ER is required to address return to work issues, and/or a valid offer within 60 days of your MMI report from PTP.
    If not, you would be eligible for the voucher, the amount of the voucher is based on your PD/WPI rating.
    There is no cash in a SJDV, you use it like cash though to pay for VR services at any school/college/university.
    There are also some caps on what the money can be used for.

You should receive all the info at the time the SJDV is issued, or talk to an I&A officer at the WCAB where you claim is filed.

Unfortunately all too many iw's do not understand or utilize the vouchers that are available.

As BvIA said it is a set amount based upon the pd rating. You actually should get a voucher form. It is spelled in the labor code I just don't have it at my fingertips right now but I have been through this. It can be paid directly to the school however from what I found they want the voucher to verify eligibility. In my case I found it was easier for me to pay and submit for reimbursement directly to the IC. What I think many people fail to realize is that it can be used for instance at the local JC to take whatever classes you want. Can simply be personal enrichment there is really no regulation that the classes have to what many would refer to as vocational in nature. You can submit for reimbursement for all registration, tuition, books and required materials.

i have found out so many things from the senior members i just want to thank you, I will be writing back as soon as my wc gets ahold of me as to what they are gonna accept my disability rating and the rest of things that go with it

Thanks everyone for the comments. It's been more than 60 days since I was P&S and still waiting. I really want to take advantage about this voucher to take some computer classes. The only letter that I received from IC was right after they received the report from the AME saying that I may qualify for this voucher but nothing more.

There is no reason to sit around waiting for the CA to contact you..
    YOu mention "AME"... get on your AA's ass to find out what the situation is, and get that voucher.
    Additionally... as you have not rec'd a valid job offer from your ER within the 60 day period...your PPD indemnity is to be increased by 15% (depending on the facts surrounding your claim of course.)