Connecticut Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Connecticut Workers

• Connecticut Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Connecticut Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Unhappy Moving Out of State with an Open WC Case

Has anyone moved out of state with an open wc case? I've had nothing but trouble since I did that. I've been waiting 6 months for reimbursements for medications, had to fly back to CT on my own dime numerous times for IME's which all said the same thing (surgery) and I can't take the stress of dealing with them anymore. Also, has anyone ever closed the case before MMI? What happens if you do?

Default Re: Moving Out of State with an Open WC Case

Lots of IW's have relocated.
    Why are you paying out of pocket for an IME the carrier wants?
    Why are you paying out of pocket for medications?

A claim can be settled at any time the parties can come to agreement on the outstanding issues.

Paying out of pocket costs more when you move than the cost of living where you were... Where is your attorney in all this?

I had to fly to CT for two separate IME's and workers comp will not approve pain management for me. That's why I had to pay out of pocket for my meds and pain management appointments. The commissioner has ordered them to pay me back twice - and they just dont do it. I have a third hearing coming up for the same exact issue - I wish I could be there, but I just had my third surgery and can't fly yet. My attorney told me not to settle yet because I would be walking away from too much. I feel like they intentionally delay and deny treatment and I don't understand how they get away with it. Workers comp is definitely NOT for the injured worker - it's for the employer 100%. I'm trying again to get another referral for pain management from my neurosurgeon which i'm sure will go nowhere. My neuro only provides meds for so long and then you have to go to pain management - so I will be stuck in the middle again.

Workers comp is definitely NOT for the injured worker - it's for the employer 100%.
    WC is not health insurance for the IW... your ER buys that liability coverage to mitigate their financial exposure ..out of pocket costs, just liky you buy auto insurance. The ER is the covered party, not the IW/you.

Of course they are going to delay/deny... they won't pay more than the law demands...that's the- reason for litigation. When you voluntarily move out of state, it only goes to making things more difficult.

Quote Quoting BvIA View Post
    WC is not health insurance for the IW... your ER buys that liability coverage to mitigate their financial exposure ..out of pocket costs, just liky you buy auto insurance. The ER is the covered party, not the IW/you.

Of course they are going to delay/deny... they won't pay more than the law demands...that's the- reason for litigation. When you voluntarily move out of state, it only goes to making things more difficult.
    That's funny - because the commissioner has told them on several times to reimburse me for medical expenses and they just dont do it. Seems to me, they just do whatever they want. Also, how many doctors/ IME's do you have to go to before they approve treatment - when all of the doctors recommend the same thing. Do you think denying and delaying for years is reasonable? I certainly don't. This is a broken system and the laws need to change.

Leaving CT with an open case is never a good idea. If you want to leave, best to cash in your chips and settle befor you go while they still think/fear yo have 31-308a eligibility. If you leave CT you lose that (valuable) benefit.

Agree with JFA here...but missed this before...
    That's funny - because the commissioner has told them on several times to reimburse me for medical expenses and they just dont do it. Seems to me, they just do whatever they want.
    If the system permitted an IW to access any treatment they wanted...the ER/IC would lose control of the claim... CT does permit the PTP the presumption of correctness...but the fact remains...the ER is the covered party, not the IW.

Do you think denying and delaying for years is reasonable? I certainly don't. This is a broken system and the laws need to change.
    Understand you feel that way...you, and most IW's are not getting what you want.
    Few people take the time to understand the WC system, what benefits are available, and maybe more importantly, what is not.
    And, little reason to do so....not many people anticipate being injured at work...but when you think about it...you spend 80% of your waking hours each day at your job...it stands to reason you would suffer injury in the work place, vs falling off your roof.
    When election time comes around...think, ask those people seeking your vote what their stance in on WC. Most are "us" until elected, then become "they"... there is apparently something in the water at the state capitol that changes "us" pretty quick when the big business...Chamber of Commerce comes knocking with those contributions.

Watch who you vote for next time...Democrats are much more worker friendly than the alternative.
    One of those prospective candidates...Gringrich, recently addressed WC...state and Federal system, and wants to do away with almost completely. Guess the pundits missed that one...as there is little to no conversation regarding WC in the upcomming election process.
    You elected the state legislature... the system isn't broken...it is what it is.