Maryland Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Maryland Workers

• Maryland Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Maryland Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default How Long Does it Take to Get a Settlement Check

Anyone that been through Maryland Settlements and knows what to expect please share your story I have nothing but time on my hand....
    Well the update now is that both parties involved (WCI atty and my atty and me of course) has agreed to settle on a cash or buy out or the other verbiage used a day before the hearing. Now Im waiting on the commisioner/judge to sign off on the package cause as of today 11/05/11 no updates on the web that it has been entered in the system electronicly so that is telling me its just sitting there. Well with that said Im wondering how much longer before I get my check. I had a L5 -S1 spine fushion and only 50% mobility, change job careers from a plumber to a cable tech cut 1/3 of the pay in which I cant perform that job either since it requires climbing and lifting a 50ft ladder. So that is why im trying for SSI or SSDI not sure which but so far havent heard from either. And please entertain me with your story. I have nothing else to do. And im hoping that the checks are disburse to each parrty involved AND NOT ONE check and it would yet have to go in a escrow acct to clear then every party gets paid for me to wait more time.
    And did I mention recieved the insurance card from the WCI that i need to be approve and go to their approved pharmacy to get my meds paid so im still in the nightmare train that does not stop....cant wait until at least part of the worries might be done soon before we loose our home all ready lost the vehicles barely keeping the lights on so praying things work out to the best. So any Maryland IW out there that would like to enlighten me the steps and what to expect next and just to tell me your thoughts your story please share cause Im clueless what happens next?? Is it Both atty signs, send to comissioner he signs then to the WCI or carrier then check sent out? Is there a law in how they send the check or is it up to the WCI? And what is the time frame as to from the hearing date that all parties agreed to the settlement amount and left medical open and I signed my atty signed was sent to the WC atty is there a set time all this is required to be completed after the hearing date? Does the WCI atty have a time frame that he needs to get the package to the comissioner? I would thought all would be settled at the hearing meaning we all sign and it goes to the WCI and they cut the check...is it correct that they have 30 days to get the check to me? When does that time start? Thanks for any help!!!

Default Re: How Long Does it Take to Get a Settlement Check

In a nutshell, you're getting a bit "antsy" - understandable. The Judge will take as long as he needs to, depending upon his workload. Typically, the payment will be made within 30 days of the ORDER, which is when the Judge actually signs it, not when the verbal order was entered on the record.

Since the MD WC system is down for maintenance today, it would be difficult to properly research this.

Yep a lot antzy...just trying to beat the sale of my home to foreclosure...so yes a bit impatient cause I know no one else is going to wait on their payment it will proceed...so that is why im trying to find out answers and someone that been through this. It has been two wks since the paperwork went to the judge and that is why I wanted to see what is the hold up...so if its sitting there waiting for him to sign off on who sends it to the WCI? Thx for your help

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Oh how can I research the answers I seek? Just want to make sure im were I need to be in my search

Quote Quoting daddyslittleroo View Post
    Yep a lot antzy...just trying to beat the sale of my home to foreclosure...so yes a bit impatient cause I know no one else is going to wait on their payment it will proceed...so that is why im trying to find out answers and someone that been through this. It has been two wks since the paperwork went to the judge and that is why I wanted to see what is the hold up...so if its sitting there waiting for him to sign off on who sends it to the WCI? Thx for your help

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Oh how can I research the answers I seek? Just want to make sure im were I need to be in my search
    Like I said, it's totally understandable that you'd be a bit antsy. Just so you know, even if somebody else who has been through this in MD shares their story, every case is completely different, based on the various elements of the claim.

To do some research, you can start here: http://www.wcc.state.md.us/